Jack plane rehab
One of the "Treasures" I came home with back in August....
Winkgrin 

Was that wood bodied Jack plane.....seemed to be missing the iron.   Plane was a single iron sort of plane.   No notch for a chipbreakers bolt...

Long time ago, someone had taken an old mower blade, and made it into a spud bar like contraption.   Picked it a few years ago.   Worked great on plaster/lathe walls, too..

This is now the back half, as I cut about half off.   I went back to get as much flat as I could.   stuff laughed at my hacksaws....used the grinder to cut a deep groove across..

To where I could snap the "waste" off.   Haven't measured how thick the steel is, yet.....more grinding...got one face flat....and a cambered edge for a bevel..
Cool  

Has only seen either the grinder, or a beltsander...so far....will get the stones and such after it..later..
Winkgrin  

Used it on some white oak..against the grain....imagine what this will be like, once I get it sharp...
Winkgrin 

Had to trim the wedge back a bit...was longer than the iron...made hammer adjust a little rough....
Rolleyes 

Will update, when it gets sharpened....stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Just measured the thickness on the new iron....1/4" thick
Cool 

Have "de-toothed" a couple hacksaw blades, trying to cut this slab of steel.
Upset ...3 blades=3/8" of a cut.   Should be some decent steel..
Confused
Do you have to fix the mouth of it so it is not so wide?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-10-2018, 07:01 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Do you have to fix the mouth of it so it is not so wide?

As is, its good for rough work, hogging off wood.  Anything more, you would close the mouth with a dutchman, or putting a new sole on it and chiseling a bed on the new sole.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Lookin good. Any idea what that wood is?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Wood seems to  be Beech.    Will be leaving the mouth opening as is...as this will be a scrub type of plane....where I can hog 4/4, rough sawn planks down close to 3/4, then let other planes finish it up.    I have others that can be used as smoothers.

And Try planes, and the Ohio Tool Co. #035.   IF you look in at the back of this shelf..

You can just make out the Sargent # 3416 sitting back there.  I use about half of what is on this shelf.  As for longer iron planes..

The Stanley #8 is too BIG for the til...so it and a second #7 sit alongside it...

IIRC...that  is a type 7 No. 8 by Stanley....the No. 7 beside it is an Ohio Tool co. # 0-7......the #7c in the til is a Stanley type 9, No. 7c....