Starrett tools
(11-06-2018, 07:38 PM)Elijah A. Wrote: Hey, I would like to get 3" and 6"Starrett dividers and and 6" and 12" Starrett combo squares. Is it better to go new or vintage? Thx!

Eli

I don't know if they make dividers, but if you decide to go new for squares, PEC brand is very good.  USA made, very accurate and yet much lower price than Starrett, at least the last time I looked.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
The used Starret combo squares I see for sale always seem pretty beat.  And the new ones are too rich for my blood.  I'm a little suspicious of Starrett quality nowadays, but I suppose it's easy enough to check a square.
(11-07-2018, 07:24 AM)pprobus Wrote: I don't know if they make dividers, but if you decide to go new for squares, PEC brand is very good.  USA made, very accurate and yet much lower price than Starrett, at least the last time I looked.

For new, PEC stuff is solid and well within tolerances for woodworking.  Google Harry Epstein, they have "blems" of PEC stuff from time to time that are priced very aggressively.  Like this:

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/1...r-usa.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-06-2018, 07:38 PM)Elijah A. Wrote: Hey, I would like to get 3" and 6"Starrett dividers and and 6" and 12" Starrett combo squares. Is it better to go new or vintage? Thx!

Eli

I have a set of 3 in Starrett dividers, used but clean, can't find a 6in set I just saw a week ago. CRS strikes again, I have brand new Starrett 4" #13A and 6" #13c squares, both are unused in boxes. $125. I also have a 24" Starrett square if interested $150. I have 12" Starrett comb square which is in good condition $50 

Cheers
Mike
(11-07-2018, 06:57 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: I like the double square...the one with the sliding ruler, for woodworking. You can kinda use it as a gage. I think it’s more helpful than the combination square.

+1.  I almost never use the 45 deg part of the combo square, but I use the double square a LOT as a depth gauge.  My Starrett tools are all more-or-less modern and they are all quite accurate and quite serviceable.  There are differences between the forged and non-forged squares, though.  The forged ones will tolerate a lot more abuse.  If you can find a forged vintage one, take that over a non-forged modern one.

There's a good episode of How It's Made on Starrett tools.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-07-2018, 02:39 PM)AHill Wrote: +1.  I almost never use the 45 deg part of the combo square, but I use the double square a LOT as a depth gauge.  My Starrett tools are all more-or-less modern and they are all quite accurate and quite serviceable.  There are differences between the forged and non-forged squares, though.  The forged ones will tolerate a lot more abuse.  If you can find a forged vintage one, take that over a non-forged modern one.

There's a good episode of How It's Made on Starrett tools.

...Great vid...thanks!!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have what I think are the best Starrett combo squares - vintage but as new - forged heads - made in Scotland

However, the new satin chrome rules are best - easy to read, non glare