Miter saw acting weird (re-titled thread)
Not sure on the year. Those 708's were discontinued about 05 (about the time they moved the slide bars).
Somewhere right in 05 or 06.
I had my 708's by that time.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Since you don't have to send the old one back... cut it in half and see if you can bolt it on straight.

Hacksaw, angle grinder, sawsall, whatever... it doesn't have to be pretty. It also gets you working in an hour.
Wink
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(12-19-2018, 10:53 AM)CLETUS Wrote: Since you don't have to send the old one back... cut it in half and see if you can bolt it on straight.

Hacksaw, angle grinder, sawsall, whatever... it doesn't have to be pretty. It also gets you working in an hour.
Wink

I'm not making a whole lot of cuts right now, so for now I'll just make my final cut on just the left side when I do need to make a cut. Sooner than later, though, I need to be able to count on using both sides at once, so hopefully this new fence won't have the issue my current one does. 

And Stwood, it makes me wonder why the heck they switched over to the version of the fence attachment screws (and holes) that I have...with something that might very well need to be fudged a little bit one way or another (like any type of fixed fence), I don't feel that countersunk screws and holes should EVER be considered a good idea. Heck, I probably could have gotten by with my current fence if I had the same screws and holes that your son's 709 has. It is only a few thousandths after all, but over the full width of cut it does make a difference when it's bowed. I wouldn't mind making tiny adjustments now and then as needed. But it's pretty disappointing they changed the screw and hole designs, especially because I absolutely love everything else about the saw! Hopefully I do get a good fence, but I'll be making another call to DeWalt to ask them why they changed the screws and attachment holes on the fence (and maybe put in some customer feedback about changing back to something more adjustment-friendly).
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Not sure, but I would say it's all due to CNC machining now.
They probably figure if the cnc machine puts that hole in the table and fence accurately so a minion sitting on a stool, doesn't have to adjust said fence when said minion uses an air driver to insert a screw into that non threaded hole in the table. (Tables are not threaded, notice your screw is a thread cutting screw)
Said minion can spend less time doing adjustments, and be packing those saws in a box, thus eliminating the normal box packer.

Maybe?? Maybe.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did you get  a Type# off your saw? Serial #?
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-19-2018, 07:47 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Did you get  a Type# off your saw? Serial #?

Picture of the info tag below...plus, off to the side there are some raised numbers, and the first group of four (which my finger is pointed at) looks to be "2018", so either that's a coincidence or this saw was manufactured sometime this year.

Sorry about the picture being rotated...I STILL have no idea how to fix that! 
No

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Type 20
I'll do some checkin
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2018, 07:18 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Hahaha, took me a few seconds to figure out that Stwood meant me when he said "Mr. King". Has a good ring to it, I gotta admit. 
Laugh

To make a short story even shorter, I had DeWalt send me a new fence...they said the holidays could slow down the shipping process (something I wasn't surprised at in the least), but hopefully it'll be flat like the various other ones I've heard about on here and elsewhere.

As a last note, they didn't actually ask me to return the old fence. I just hope this process ends up fixing the problem permanently rather than simply delaying the a bad outcome (having to return the saw and look into other ones) like what happened when I bought Bosch's cheapest sander.

As for the whole "countersink" thing, I don't know if I was using the correct terminology. There is a slight chamfer at the top of the holes, though, and the underside of the screws conform to that. A couple pics below will show what I meant when I said "countersink".

I do hope that the new fence works out.  Otherwise you would be "burning up" Amazon's return window.  On a somewhat unrelated note there was a long thread on Sawmill Creek about the Hammer A3-31 Combo Jointer Planer that costs some 10X your saw and the trouble the OP had with the fence. If you are interested you can pm me for a link.
(12-20-2018, 12:59 PM)Vijay Wrote: the Hammer A3-31 Combo Jointer Planer that costs some 10X your saw and the trouble the OP had with the fence. If you are interested you can pm me for a link.

The Festool Kapex is 3 or 4 times (?) the cost of that Dewalt miter saw and it has it share of issues (some with the motor, some with the turntable). Anyone who thinks machining is perfect science is fooling themselves, with materials, variance and assembly involved. The Kapex's tolerance is 0.016" for squareness (according to one video), and that may tell you that expecting "perfect" squareness on a sliding miter saw might be a bit unrealistic in most cases.

Simon
(12-20-2018, 01:15 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote:  The Kapex's tolerance is 0.016" for squareness (according to one video), and that may tell you that expecting "perfect" squareness on a sliding miter saw might be a bit unrealistic in most cases.

.016" over 12" of crosscut?

That is perfect.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15