(12-15-2018, 04:24 PM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: Thanks.  Just don't actually try to use it.  The steel doesn't go in far enough for actual use. I was trying to keep the weight down.

Yes I know it wasn't intended to be used I just think it belongs next to my other lathe tools. It looks like a couple of my gouges got together and had a baby!
Smile
While I was making an ornament for this exchange I made a few more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Those are nice.  I like the texture of the sea urchins. Is it difficult getting a good joint between the shell and the wood?
(12-15-2018, 01:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: ******So has everyone already mailed out their Ornaments?******

Sadly, no. I hope to make it to the post office tomorrow.
Sigh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-16-2018, 01:13 PM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: Those are nice.  I like the texture of the sea urchins. Is it difficult getting a good joint between the shell and the wood?

Thanks. I use a cone shaped grinding stone to round out the holes and then use epoxy to attach the finial. We'll see how it holds up but so far no problems. It's also good to brush pva glue on the inside of the shell to strengthen it.
Great tips.
Thanks!
My apologies to FrankAtl for not being able to post a photo of the beautiful ornament I received from him. I will attempt to describe it - approx. 2.5" x 8". Turned body is in 6 major segments separated by contrasting narrow bands of light woods. Large finial at top and long spiral at bottom.

Description does no justice to the real thing. I have tried umpteen times over three days to post a picture of the ornament but with no success. Time is up. Duties call. I give up....at least for now.

Ornament at present has place of prominence on a stand in the center of our dining room table.

(12-17-2018, 02:15 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: My apologies to FrankAtl for not being able to post a photo of the beautiful ornament I received from him. I will attempt to describe it - approx. 2.5" x 8". Turned body is in 6 major segments separated by contrasting narrow bands of light woods. Large finial at top and long spiral at bottom.

Description does no justice to the real thing. I have tried umpteen times over three days to post a picture of the ornament but with no success. Time is up. Duties call. I give up....at least for now.

Ornament at present has place of prominence on a stand in the center of our dining room table.

Send me a PM and I will give you my email address and I will post them for you.  Take 4 to 6 and I will post the best ones.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
At last (I hope) a picture of the ornament I received from FrankAtl.

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions on the way they post their photos and the apps they use. To TDKPE a special thanks for reminding me that MS Office has Photo Editor as on of its tools. Didn't realize it was sitting there already on my computer. I have never had to use it before. Was simple once I gave it a try.

Happy holidays to everyone.

-AJH (wood2woodknot)

OK here is what AL sent me or Wood2WoodKnot

The first one is the three ornaments and a nice Christmas Card of which I never even thought of.

[attachment=15228]

The last is a Christmas Puzzle and has the Star on top and he also gave me the template so everyone else can make on this year for their families next year.  Hope I have enough scraps and wood.
Yes

[attachment=15229]

My wife loves the puzzle and told me to make them for my daughters.  Thanks Al
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh    Really it will be my first big Scroll saw job and looking forward to making it and getting the right blades. 

So Al what type and size and brand to buy?

Thank you so much Al
Yes
Yes
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.