I just received a very nice ornament from Brad Swearington about 10 minutes ago.  Just in time for Christmas.  I just finished showing it to my family and my daughter hung it on our tree.
Pictures tomorrow.
Thank you Brad!  And thank you Arlin for putting this together!
Merry Christmas from the Walkers!
Rodney
Oh, thank goodness.

I haven't used a lathe in nearly three years and this was my first semi-successful ornament. It took me several tries to make it work. Please forgive how big and awkward it is.

Be sure to hang it from a sturdy branch on the tree!

I got Ivan's the other day and am really impressed by it! Puts mine to shame!
Semper fi,
Brad

Looking at it I would never have guessed you were ever away from the lathe.  It looks great to me.  Purple heart and maple?
Can not wait for the pics.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-24-2018, 08:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: OK here is what AL sent me or Wood2WoodKnot

The first one is the three ornaments and a nice Christmas Card of which I never even thought of.

The last is a Christmas Puzzle and has the Star on top and he also gave me the template so everyone else can make on this year for their families next year.  Hope I have enough scraps and wood.
Yes

My wife loves the puzzle and told me to make them for my daughters.  Thanks Al
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh    Really it will be my first big Scroll saw job and looking forward to making it and getting the right blades. 

So Al what type and size and brand to buy?

Thank you so much Al
Yes
Yes
Big Grin

Arlin,

Glad you enjoy the ornaments and the puzzle.

I used Flying Dutchman blades. I get mine from Mike's Workshop. For the puzzle I used a UR #7 Ultra Reverse blade ($3.50 / dozen - no minimum order / no postage / usually next day out mail). www.mikesworkshop.com.  P.O. Box 460, Spirit Lake, Idaho 83869-0460. Blades are pinless.

The UR #7 blade gives a clean and smooth cut in the 3/4" poplar I use for the puzzle. Needs no sanding (maybe touch up). I've also used 1/2" stock but the pieces tend to tip over too easily because of the smaller  base. Take the time to plan how to break down the puzzle into large blocks with simple cuts. And then cut the blocks into smaller pieces. Trickiest cut is separating the two sheep. I will try to make a new template with recommended cut sequences for you. That will give me something to do after the holiday rush.

The UR#7 blade also leaves just enough room to paint the pieces with acrylic and lacquer topcoat. Be careful not to let the acrylic build up too thick. I have also had good luck with TransFast and TransTint stains. They are a lot easier but not as colorful, but you don't need to worry about building too thick of an acrylic coating. Cuts production time appreciably.

After I made your set, I made a few more with a simpler lid by just adding a second frame around the outside of the crib frame. No cutting and gluing strips and making miter cuts. Just cut and add a back.

And lastly, I was concerned that there was never a Baby Jesus to place on the manger. I'm not a good carver, but after I made your puzzle I figured out how to carve a simple baby on the manger - a circle for a head and an oval for the body and no other details. Just a lot of patience and small cuts. Use colors to differentiate from the manger. I will send a photo when I send a new template with the cut sequences.

-Al (wood2woodknot)

Al

Thank you for the info and you did a great job.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here are the three wonderful ornaments that Arlin generously made:

[Image: 45551430165_43543770f6_z.jpg]

I'm very glad to have participated in this and a big thank you to Arlin for organizing it!
(12-25-2018, 06:24 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Here are the three wonderful ornaments that Arlin generously made:

[Image: 45551430165_43543770f6_z.jpg]

I'm very glad to have participated in this and a big thank you to Arlin for organizing it!

Good job, Arlin. Very neat ornaments - not the usual turnings you often see. Very creative.

Rodney,

Thanks for the praise; I really appreciate it. I wish I hadn't made the ornament so clunky. I should have made it smaller, more delicate. It's maple and purple heart.

I literally finished it last Thursday and got it into the mail on Friday!
Semper fi,
Brad

My wife, daughter and I all like it so I would say the size and design are good.   I also saw a very nice job of turning a couple not-so-easy shapes with a high degree of finish.  No tool marks and a great job of sanding and finishing.
I think it's great.
Also, here's the picture I promised yesterday.

Rodney