It's been awhile, I've returned to the fold
(08-31-2018, 07:44 PM)Mtobey Wrote: Isn't it just so hard to believe that when one has been gone for whatever reason, and that person returns; well, corny as it sounds, we are met with good memories and truly open arms? This is a group of unique people and those new folks who choose to settle here and who are of a helpful and kindly bent, create on a continuous basis a place that is "home." At least, that is how I feel about my return and the greetings I have received. Best darn reason for even having an internet- that opportunity to be a real friend to people around this whole orb cannot really be accurately put into words.

I am a great "wordbender," but even with that experience, I am incapable of correctly describing the comfort I feel here- greater than my thousands of posts at " My Les Paul." Even though I was not some famous builder, the knowledge and experience I feasted upon here, made it possible for some fairly raw woodworkers to build some really fine guitars. Whatever status I have there, I owe to this website and the sharing people who populate it.
Good to see you back and posting again too Mike!
Skip

Thank you one and all! 

It's always incredible to find people from way back in rec.woodworking who are still living online in subsequent forums and groups. I guess that says that the Neanderthal crowd is still a force to reckon with!

I'm a bit slower now than I was a few decades ago, but still into books and paper. I've sold off nearly all of the tools and close to all the paper and books that are not directly involved in publishing. Why you ask? Try living in a 600 square foot end unit with your best friend and her daughter. Space is tight plus, I'm not one to look at the shelf and admire my stuff. At least not for more than a year or two...

Gary
Gary Roberts
The Toolemera Press
Wilmington, NC USA
Toolemera.Com Website
Good to have you back. I recently showed your website to a shop teacher at the high school. He had never heard of Sloyd. He also did not know what a shooting board was. I figured Toolemera was the medicine he needed!

-Bob
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
(09-26-2018, 06:26 AM)CedarSlayer Wrote: Good to have you back. I recently showed your website to a shop teacher at the high school. He had never heard of Sloyd. He also did not know what a shooting board was. I figured Toolemera was the medicine he needed!

-Bob

Hey Bob - It's been awhile since we heard from you....
Skip

(09-26-2018, 10:26 AM)Skip J. Wrote: Hey Bob - It's been awhile since we heard from you....

Sorry, I have been spending my time writing. I am about to build a new work bench however. It is quite a bit different from any I have seen before.
Smile
I am combining several ideas that echo other ideas I have been thinking about. The plan is for the entire bench to be a quick release wood vise that can grab on either side. Izzy Swan had an idea several years ago that I wanted to elaborate on.

I was also inspired by a few other ideas out there,

My thought is that I can make a large wooden vise where the moving jaw is between a jaw at either end of the bench. If I need a flat work area a table section can fit on either side of the vise and still have the vise be usable. I am also planing to be able to lock a table surface into the vise so I can have a range of table surfaces available depending on what I need at the time. Sometimes I want a large thick metal surface, sometimes I want to do gluing, sometimes I just want a nice clean table and sometimes I am sharpening and I am going to make a mess of a nice table. There are also times where I need a sacrificial surface I can drill cut or screw things to. I am planning on having a 16" x 36" table/vise with an extension table to allow clamping really long projects if needed.

-Bob
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
and back again. Hurricane Florence back in September did a number on Wilmington. Luckily our house did not sustain manager damage. A tornado came through, took down a couple dozen trees in a straight line in front. One 80 foot old southern pine came down in front, took out the new fence, took out the rear of our Escape and left a ton of branches in the side yard. The back had a tree take out the utility pole, took out more fence, missed the hvac unit by inches and left more branches in the yard. No power of course. We spent four days in a shelter due to the intense heat and humidity. FEMA sent me a check for $264. After two months of arguing, the insurance company paid off the claim and restoration began. Ceiling damage, electrical damage, windows and doors swollen from the humidity and other assorted stuff.

Two fired contractors later, we are done. Last of the storage units emptied and now back to normal life! Except for the rain. 102" for 2018. The ground squishes when you walk.

Time for old books and old tools.
Gary Roberts
The Toolemera Press
Wilmington, NC USA
Toolemera.Com Website
(01-03-2019, 08:52 PM)toolemera Wrote: and back again. Hurricane Florence back in September did a number on Wilmington. Luckily our house did not sustain manager damage. A tornado came through, took down a couple dozen trees in a straight line in front. One 80 foot old southern pine came down in front, took out the new fence, took out the rear of our Escape and left a ton of branches in the side yard. The back had a tree take out the utility pole, took out more fence, missed the hvac unit by inches and left more branches in the yard. No power of course. We spent four days in a shelter due to the intense heat and humidity. FEMA sent me a check for $264. After two months of arguing, the insurance company paid off the claim and restoration began. Ceiling damage, electrical damage, windows and doors swollen from the humidity and other assorted stuff.

Two fired contractors later, we are done. Last of the storage units emptied and now back to normal life! Except for the rain. 102" for 2018. The ground squishes when you walk.

Time for old books and old tools.

Hello Gary;

Sorry to hear about the storm damage! We also understand about bad contractors! Some of our friends who had hi water in their houses are just now getting back in them.

Here along the Gulf Coast we had 3 straight years like that, ending with TS Harvey last year.  This past year we got by with only the "normal" amount of rain.... and the ground is still squishy..... 

We hope everything gets better for ya'll, just like it is slowly coming together for us....
Skip

(01-04-2019, 04:27 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Hello Gary;

Sorry to hear about the storm damage! We also understand about bad contractors! Some of our friends who had hi water in their houses are just now getting back in them.

Here along the Gulf Coast we had 3 straight years like that, ending with TS Harvey last year.  This past year we got by with only the "normal" amount of rain.... and the ground is still squishy..... 

We hope everything gets better for ya'll, just like it is slowly coming together for us....

thanks Skip! The world slowly returns to normal here for some, for some they yet don't have homes to live in. We've had 102 inches of rain for 2018. The average is 57. Parts of Pender County are still uninhabitable. Here in Wilmington it's soggy wet but mostly back to normal. We have heat again too! Now to get back to old books and stuff.
Gary Roberts
The Toolemera Press
Wilmington, NC USA
Toolemera.Com Website