https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs&t=393s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-13-2018, 09:07 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: start over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs&t=393s

Fascinating!!  Thanks for posting!!
Kauhava is only some 100 kilometres inland from where I live. There is at least some knifemaking going on there to this day.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Quite impressive ...
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I applaud Jack's offer of this video. I have owned several knives of the Puukko type. I was actually exposed to the "Scandanavian" knives by Harry Morseth who bought laminated steel bars for his knives. I no longer have those because I gave them to cherished hunting partners. I still have three at this time- a combination field size and caping in a piggyback sheath with hand embellished designs and a Helle "Trofe" model. Were I unrestrained, I would buy up all of the puukko's with original laminated steel I could find. This, from a fellow who has Randall's, Forthofer's and more true customs. I use a (Dozier )early) Master Skinner for Whitetails. It has never needed a stone; just a few strokes on a DMT diamond stick-- even for splitting the sternum. Dozier uses D-2 so Jack will understand. At the least, I would commend any outdoorsman here to go to A.G. Russell ( Mr. Russell passed away last month but there will be no change in quality.) to purchase a knife with life-saving characteristics. In today's world, this is a "need" not just a "want."
By the way, I learned from harsh response that Finns reject being called or at all included in the term " Scandinavian
'. No reason was given, but I do choose to honor their choice. So, if you are negotiating on anything with a native Finn do not pass on an innocent insult. Ignore your school geography class- avoid what I guess is an insult not quickly forgiven by a Finn.
Jack, I wish I'd seen this in July. I was in Helsinki in August and found it uninteresting. Looking for one of these knives would have been fun!
(01-04-2019, 11:16 AM)Mtobey Wrote: By the way, I learned from harsh response that Finns reject being called or at all included in the term " Scandinavian
'. No reason was given, but I do choose to honor their choice. So, if you are negotiating on anything with a native Finn do not pass on an innocent insult. Ignore your school geography class- avoid what I guess is an insult not quickly forgiven by a Finn.

Indeed that's the case with the Finns.

We Finland Swedes who have lived on the Finnish coast since prehistoric times like to be counted as Scandinavians and many of us wiew it as a bit of an insult if we are called Finns.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(01-04-2019, 06:31 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Jack, I wish I'd seen this in July. I was in Helsinki in August and found it uninteresting. Looking for one of these knives would have been fun!

That would have been a really good score, Hank...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset