Chamfer plane
I found this odd chamfer plane last summer, no markings save for someone's initials. It's aluminum bodied, about 6-3/8" long. I can't find anything on the web, anybody seen one before? Possibly a patternmaker's homemade tool?

[Image: 20190105_145317-L.jpg]
[Image: 20190105_145324-L.jpg]
[Image: 20190105_145342-L.jpg]
[Image: 20190105_145359-L.jpg]
[Image: 20190105_145434-L.jpg]
No idea on the maker, but that looks like a real Jim Slicker! That skewed blade would really make it handy!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
No answers for your questions, but that is one interesting plane. Possibly made by a craftsman or an apprentice.
Maybe for ship or boat building purposes???
From your top and especially the 2nd picture, I noticed the tops of the tote knobs are slightly different. IDK what that means, just an observation.
Thanks for sharing. Very cool.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(01-06-2019, 08:46 AM)Tony Z Wrote: No idea on the maker, but that looks like a real Jim Slicker!  That skewed blade would really make it handy!
I agree!!!!!! Never seen one like it!!!!!! A rare bird indeed!!!!!And it looks like a very effective tool...more "elaborate" than it even needs to be !!!!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If it was a patternmaker's project, it was made by one smart patternmaker!

I like the completely unnecessary but very tasteful zig-zag decoration along the sides of the frog and top of the lever cap.
Very interesting, never seen one like it before. Strikes me that Rob Lee might be interested in a plane like that, I know they have an extensive collection, might be worth an email over to their technical people and ask them to ask the "guy" who is in charge of the collection and maybe they have something to say about it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-06-2019, 10:19 AM)Admiral Wrote: Very interesting, never seen one like it before.  Strikes me that Rob Lee might be interested in a plane like that, I know they have an extensive collection, might be worth an email over to their technical people and ask them to ask the "guy" who is in charge of the collection and maybe they have something to say about it.

Excellent idea, Rich...looks too good to not check out...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yeah, it's a very nicely made tool. Of course, there's nothing a  good patternmaker couldn't do. 

I was hoping somebody had seen one like it, but's it's also very cool that nobody has.
Smile
I third the idea for Rob Lee! A skewed iron on a chamfer will make that job person proof (I use a block plane after marking both sides, but invariably I always seem to get a bit of tearout).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-06-2019, 05:57 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I third the idea for Rob Lee!  A skewed iron on a chamfer will make that job person proof (I use a block plane after marking both sides, but invariably I always seem to get a bit of tearout).

Let me guess. "I" word. Good thing that got auto-fixed. 
Rolleyes
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site