New wood river 5 1/2 jack plane
I really feel stupid. I got a Woodriver # 5 1/2 jack plane for Christmas. I might add that I have never used a plane before.  After watching Rob Cosman's video I started sharpening the blade then tried to reassemble it. After awhile I found out that I was sharpening the iron cap [if that is the correct name]. I just had to vent, thanks. Now I will start over.
Your secret is safe with us.
Trust me. This is the kind of mistake that you will never make again!
Big Grin

On a more serious note: you may have rendered your cap iron (or chip breaker) unusable if the sharpening done to it did not maintain its full contact to the back of the blade (one sign is jammed shavings, for example, due to a gap under the chip breaker). If you can't undo the damage and get it back in shape (by sharpening or burnishing), get a replacement chip breaker.

Simon
I did something similar, although I swear I was trying to clean the rust off and not sharpen the chip breaker.  
No 

Still ruined it.
Thanks for keeping my secret and helping. I just called Woodcraft and they have a chip breaker for $10. All is well. Now tony son's table top.

Steve
We all do it, that's how we learn! My mistake was several decades ago, while tuning a smoothing plane for the first time. An article said to seat the chip breaker better by clamping one end in a vise and putting a bit more bend to the other. My bit was way too much and worse, a bit twisted.

Gave me a reason to get a new, thicker one!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Um, some mistakes are better kept to yourself. LOL
Uum. Did you try the plane out *before* trying to sharpen up the blade?
Just wondering. Normally they are machine sharpened enough to cut some wood.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-07-2019, 02:35 PM)SCK Wrote: I really feel stupid. I got a Woodriver # 5 1/2 jack plane for Christmas. I might add that I have never used a plane before.  After watching Rob Cosman's video I started sharpening the blade then tried to reassemble it. After awhile I found out that I was sharpening the iron cap [if that is the correct name]. I just had to vent, thanks. Now I will start over.

This is a mistake only if you removed bottom relief in the chip-breaker.
Otherwise honing the chip-breaker is crucial to perform its function.
(01-10-2019, 04:48 PM)omark Wrote: Otherwise honing the chip-breaker is crucial to perform its function.

Really?

This is the first time I heard that one needs to do anything about the chip-breaker when one gets a brand new plane. I know people will either return the plane or get a replacement chip-breaker from the vendor if the new chip-breaker fails to work in a new plane.

Please share an example of what brand name plane that requires its user to work on its chip-breaker before a new plane can be used.

Simon