Wooden bodied Fillister help solicited
After decades of using/collecting/hoarding, etc. I have vast experience with, and knowledge of, metallic hand planes.

Wooden planes -- not so much.

Nonetheless, I've inadvertently acquired several dozen. On a whim, I tried to use a Casey & Co, skewed moving fillister the other day.

It appears hardly used and in excellent shape. With the wedge loose, I couldn't advance the iron. Upon examination, it appears there is virtually no relief whatsoever in the underside of the fence.

I'm assuming that there should be one. Is it an oversight in manufacture, or does it develop from use.
Should I create one?

Can anyone supply an image or two of theirs.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
The fence should have a clearance notch so you can adjust for width of rabbet and depth of cut. I believe you will need to create one if it doesn't exist
Hope these help.

Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(01-12-2019, 08:27 AM)jppierson Wrote: The fence should have a clearance notch so you can adjust for width of rabbet and depth of cut. I believe you will need to create one if it doesn't exist
Hope these help.

That does indeed help.

Thank you.
IIRC, the fence on mine is slightly lower than the blade edge.

Is there any eccentricity in the mounting of the fence rods that would allow you to adjust its height?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(01-13-2019, 07:41 PM)iclark Wrote: IIRC, the fence on mine is slightly lower than the blade edge.

Is there any eccentricity in the mounting of the fence rods that would allow you to adjust its height?

I appreciate your input, but I suspect you're picturing a sash fillister, rather than a moving fillister -- the latter having no arms.

Instead, the fence moves on two fillister head screws, which ride in mortised-in brass channels.
(01-13-2019, 08:09 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I appreciate your input, but I suspect you're picturing a sash fillister, rather than a moving fillister -- the latter having no arms.

Instead, the fence moves on two fillister head screws, which ride in mortised-in brass channels.

You are correct that I got them confused.

It does not address your issue, but you might find this interesting:
https://woodandshop.com/how-to-tune-and-...ter-plane/
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.