American Woodshop
You guys can always friend him on Facebook and tell him how much he sucks. 
Laugh His last post shows him making a Maloof style rocker, so maybe he's listening.
Norm caught a lot of flack for his rampant use of biscuits and brad nails. When he appeared on the cover of Fine Woodworking, many woodworking craftsmen lost it because they believed he devalued the craft. I don’t think Scott threatens anyone but his projects still suck.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(01-12-2019, 08:20 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: Norm caught a lot of flack for his rampant use of biscuits and brad nails. When he appeared on the cover of Fine Woodworking, many woodworking craftsmen lost it because they believed he devalued the craft. I don’t think Scott threatens anyone but his projects still suck.

I remember the crap Norm took in the FWW article, because he wore a leather tool belt.

If I'm not mistaken, televisions are still supplied with controls that turn them off and on, as well as change channels. Don't like it, don't watch it!

As far as AWS, I watch occasionally, and yes there are things I would not do (such as all the pocket screws) but there are still things to learn, particularly the fret saw work. I also believe some things are screen staged, such as the finishing, for the sake of the 1/2 hour time slot.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Scott is a friend, we meet at a lot of the shows.
He is a great guy, genuinely nice.

PBS is the only network currently putting out actual woodworking content. DIY and HGTV are all home decor or flipping shows. 

But the PBS distribution model is flawed. Even if you are a paid member, if your local station does not carry the show you want, you are SOL. 

You can watch his show online, but not really easily through yourbig screen TV.

This is why I am doing Woodcademy TV through Amazon Prime. The world needs more woodworking shows, so I am doiñg my bit.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Scott Phillips is a talented guy, but you just don't see it in his show. I think the show is aimed at new woodworkers with only a modicum of talent. I do like the inclusion of his wife on the show, because I think that might encourage other women to get into the craft. She does some nice scroll saw work. Using the carbide tools for turning is kind of a disservice to turners. Even his sanding technique on the lathe is crude. Hardly anything he does interests me. It seems like he gravitates toward Early American and sometimes he throws in some craftsman / mission style stuff. I do appreciate he uses all his safety features, including blade guards.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-13-2019, 04:03 PM)handi Wrote: Scott is a friend, we meet at a lot of the shows.
He is a great guy, genuinely nice.

You can watch his show online, but not really easily through your big screen TV.

Most TV's these days have wireless or wired connections where you can stream the content from your computer directly to your TV.  My boys - both in their early 20's - showed up for Christmas with their own wireless router and cables and were promptly playing video games and streaming content from their computer to my big screen TV.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ralph, I have no doubt that Scott Phillips is a nice guy.  His essential nature comes through to me when I watch his show.  I hope I haven't said anything in this thread that would cast any aspersion on Scott's character.  I don't think I have.

The original question essentially asked for an opinion-based answer based on personal preference.  I just don't look forward to Scott's show in the way that I do others.  It's not because of his delivery because I'm fairly tolerant in that regard.  Heck, I liked watching Tommy MacDonald's show when it was on, fer cryin' out loud, and he could be a chore to listen to.

There are some projects that Scott has done that I found interesting, but many others just fell flat for me.  Of course, the half-hour format means that details have to be cut.  

Your web-based show opened up a new avenue of shows for me to watch, although the only video I get out here in the sticks is video through my cell phone plan.
I don't watch him, I don't even know if he is on PBS anymore in my area. I always felt like I was being talked down to, like he was the teacher I and I was a 7th grade student. But I am sure he is a nice guy most people are nice if given a chance.

Tom
(01-13-2019, 06:28 PM)WxMan Wrote: Ralph, I have no doubt that Scott Phillips is a nice guy.  His essential nature comes through to me when I watch his show.  I hope I haven't said anything in this thread that would cast any aspersion on Scott's character.  I don't think I have.

The original question essentially asked for an opinion-based answer based on personal preference.  I just don't look forward to Scott's show in the way that I do others.  It's not because of his delivery because I'm fairly tolerant in that regard.  Heck, I liked watching Tommy MacDonald's show when it was on, fer cryin' out loud, and he could be a chore to listen to.

There are some projects that Scott has done that I found interesting, but many others just fell flat for me.  Of course, the half-hour format means that details have to be cut.  

Your web-based show opened up a new avenue of shows for me to watch, although the only video I get out here in the sticks is video through my cell phone plan.
I did not feel that you or anyone was attacking Scott, just relating my impressions of the guy.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(01-13-2019, 06:20 PM)AHill Wrote: Most TV's these days have wireless or wired connections where you can stream the content from your computer directly to your TV.  My boys - both in their early 20's - showed up for Christmas with their own wireless router and cables and were promptly playing video games and streaming content from their computer to my big screen TV.
New ones yes. My 50” is a bit older, it connects to the web via my PS4!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com