Starrett No. 122 -- should clean up more often
Working on some shop clean-up projects and in the process uncovered a Starrett No. 122 caliper I picked up several years ago on eBay. Case is a little on the rough side but the caliper is in good shape and when comparing its readings to a good Fowler caliper I have, it agrees to within 0.0005" every time. Good practice re-learning how to read vernier scales. But had to get out the 10x loupe to do it right. 

Did a very cursory Google search and didn't turn up much on the history of this model. Looking to find out years of manufacture. Probably need to pop into VintageMachinery.org or someplace like that to get some help.

Not exactly the sort of thing I'm going to use for woodworking but a nice bit of kit to have around none the less. Now if I can just find my vintage Brown & Sharpe 0-1" micrometer. I swear I saw that just a week ago.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Nice find and a good quality instrument. I have a soft spot for the older vernier calipers and machinist tools.

I have a 6" and 12" Starrett dial calipers that I reach for quiet often doing smaller woodworking.
(01-23-2019, 12:00 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Working on some shop clean-up projects and in the process uncovered a Starrett No. 122 caliper I picked up several years ago on eBay. Case is a little on the rough side but the caliper is in good shape and when comparing its readings to a good Fowler caliper I have, it agrees to within 0.0005" every time. Good practice re-learning how to read vernier scales. But had to get out the 10x loupe to do it right. 

Did a very cursory Google search and didn't turn up much on the history of this model. Looking to find out years of manufacture. Probably need to pop into VintageMachinery.org or someplace like that to get some help.

Not exactly the sort of thing I'm going to use for woodworking but a nice bit of kit to have around none the less. Now if I can just find my vintage Brown & Sharpe 0-1" micrometer. I swear I saw that just a week ago.

Very nice. Some tears ago my father gave me a 12 in. version of that. He'd pulled it out of service in the QA department he managed for a die casting company. It needs a couple of thumbscrews replaced but it's usable enough when I need to measure bigger things with a caliper.
Vintage Machinery won't have hand tools; that site's for machines only.  You might write to Starrett.
I would never get a measurement right with that thing, unless I could find a magnifying glass.

I always say cleaning is like going shopping, except I only find stuff that I want.  Well, I wanted it enough to buy it anyway.
For repairs of such things, contact these folks:

http://www.mtrtool.com/
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me