Daily Bench Shot
(01-20-2019, 07:50 PM)Redman Wrote: Just when everyone knew you had lost your marbles you found them. 
Cool

Smilies in this place suck. No clapping hands, etc.
[Image: FailingRemorsefulAsiandamselfly.mp4]
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Taking advantage of KU being shut down for MLK day to get as much done on my "Tormek" sharpening stand as possible.  Base is glued but needs cleanup and paint.  Top is made of two layers of particle board laminated to get to 1-1/4" then veneered with some cheap oak and edge banded.  

Got the top cleaned up and starting to apply the polyurinate. Two wipe on coats for the bottom to seal it up then concentrate on the top.  Might switch over to a real poly for the top to speed up build. Mostly using the stuff just laying about the shop for this.

Did the lazy way out on the edge banding and not mitering.  Just a butt-joint that chases around the four corners.  Other than cutting the top square, so far this is all been hand work.
Smile

Good to get back into the shop after so long. A clean-up and organize project. 

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
And as a warm up for some other projects on the docket, a little bit of hand work resawing, dimensioning and cutting simple joinery by hand.  Even fiddle around and made some thin plywood from scraps of bloodwood veneer and some photographic matte board.  Never tried using that stuff for the core and it works pretty well but definitely doesn't like excess glue moisture!  I think that stuff took two full days to harden up and lay back down.  Can't remember what I had the 1/8" oak ply from but easy enough to work.  Didn't need to saw, just use a utility knife and some patience to cut it down.

Quick boxes for organizing all the little random odds and ends that seem to accumulate.  One is poplar, 2nd is sassafras and 3rd is alder.

Been a while since I did any resawing by hand.  Took a little warming up.  A 4th box hasn't been glued up.  That one I went a little nuts and used a small chunk of quartersawn white oak. That took a lot longer than the alder.  Haven't used alder much, kind of surprised at how easily it worked even with goofy grain. Good practice for sharpening the planes and card scraper.
(01-21-2019, 11:48 AM)Rob Young Wrote: And as a warm up for some other projects on the docket, a little bit of hand work resawing, dimensioning and cutting simple joinery by hand.  Even fiddle around and made some thin plywood from scraps of bloodwood veneer and some photographic matte board.  Never tried using that stuff for the core and it works pretty well but definitely doesn't like excess glue moisture!  I think that stuff took two full days to harden up and lay back down.  Can't remember what I had the 1/8" oak ply from but easy enough to work.  Didn't need to saw, just use a utility knife and some patience to cut it down.

Quick boxes for organizing all the little random odds and ends that seem to accumulate.  One is poplar, 2nd is sassafras and 3rd is alder.

Been a while since I did any resawing by hand.  Took a little warming up.  A 4th box hasn't been glued up.  That one I went a little nuts and used a small chunk of quartersawn white oak. That took a lot longer than the alder.  Haven't used alder much, kind of surprised at how easily it worked even with goofy grain. Good practice for sharpening the planes and card scraper.

Cool
Yea that Alder isn't fingernail proof.
Laugh  I've done a couple of kitchens in Alder. Cherry stain and it will fool most people into thinking it is cherry.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Base painted with the acrylic milk paint from GF and a quick top coat of poly. Top attached and 4 coats of wipe-on poly on the underside and 4th coat on the top. Top will probably get at least two more unless I get tired of putting them on.

Attached with some figure-eights and just about ready to use.  If only it wasn't in the way, I'd sweep the floor...

(01-22-2019, 09:21 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Base painted with the acrylic milk paint from GF and a quick top coat of poly. Top attached and 4 coats of wipe-on poly on the underside and 4th coat on the top. Top will probably get at least two more unless I get tired of putting them on.

Attached with some figure-eights and just about ready to use.  If only it wasn't in the way, I'd sweep the floor...

Hey I can loan you my broom......
Winkgrin

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ultra Strong huh. That's for tough --------- huh.   
Wink
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(01-24-2019, 08:01 PM)Redman Wrote: Ultra Strong huh. That's for tough --------- huh.   
Wink

That's the John Wayne paper.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Shaping the through tenons on some qswo for a Stickley styled book case I am building.
All done with a rasp.

Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery