Roubo bench
I am starting my bench build and I am using hemlock. It is plentiful on my property and I have milled lots of it on my sawmill so the wood for the bench is essentially free.
(02-11-2019, 07:21 PM)BandSawyer Wrote: I am starting my bench build and I am using hemlock. It is plentiful on my property and I have milled lots of it on my sawmill so the wood for the bench is essentially free.

I would use hemlock to if it were growing on my property. I would use any species if it were free. I haven't heard of any hemlock here in Iowa. I think a lot grows in Canada or Pacific north west. JUst be mindful this is fora paying customer and he has the right of choice not me. I was just wondering why Ash is all.

Tom
(02-11-2019, 07:59 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I would use hemlock to if it were growing on my property. I would use any species if it were free. I haven't heard of any hemlock here in Iowa. I think a lot grows in Canada or Pacific north west. JUst be mindful this is fora paying customer and he has the right of choice not me. I was just wondering why Ash is all.

Tom
Hello Tom;

About 10 - 12 years ago all of us locals made a sawmill trip and brought home a large variety of different milled woods. My friend Josh (funkyspacecowboy) rode up with me and brought back several long 4" x 4"s and 6" x 6's of ash in my truck. Shortly afterwards he built a Roubo with the 4x4's as the top and the 6x6's for the legs. It was very difficult for either one of us to pick up even one end of it, it had to be over 500 lbs. It was flat and stayed flat and was impossible to move even an inch without some wheels under it.  It looked great too.

Whanging it with a mallet would litely dent it  but not much, it is somewhat forgiving. I think he coated it with BLO and waxed the top. Best looking bench I've seen around here... if I ever bought wood for a bench... it would be ash....
Skip