Daily Bench Shot
(02-17-2019, 07:09 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Great job Mongo!

Thank you
Smile
(02-17-2019, 07:51 AM)mongo Wrote:  Thanks! A "Dark walnut"  stain and then lacquer.

Cool
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous

[attachment=16583]
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Uhhh ... ya missed a spot.
Winkgrin

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(02-17-2019, 01:34 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: Uhhh ... ya missed a spot.
Winkgrin

Helper has it under control. Check the white pad. Helper standing there supervising.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous

Winkgrin  ........................
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm shaping the totes of the infills.

Here you can see the layout lines.

The first tote I carved with a rotary tool and a carbide carving burr. It went alright but shaping like this means a lot of stock removal and it is much harder trying to carve end grain so it took a while.  

Then I decided to go back to the tried and true method of rasps.  This is much quicker, much more uniform, much easier, and no fine dust.  

You can see that I've roughed out the back of the tote all the way to the layout lines.  Now I need to rough out the inside of the tote.

Bye the way after I'm done making some infills I will never work with lignum vitae again...maybe  This stuff is more wear resistant than steel.  A file on lignum vitae end grain removes material slower than on steel. 
Crazy

I haven't begun to sand any of the totes yet.  So after rough carving I'll probably start with some 80 grit and then go to 2000.
Peter

My "day job"

Big Grin

(02-17-2019, 11:38 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I
Bye the way after I'm done making some infills I will never work with lignum vitae again...maybe  This stuff is more wear resistant than steel.  A file on lignum vitae end grain removes material slower than on steel. 
Crazy

I haven't begun to sand any of the totes yet.  So after rough carving I'll probably start with some 80 grit and then go to 2000.

Peter beautiful  work!

I used to work a lot with exotics.   If you haven't tried yet I suspect you'll find that it scrapes for extremely well. Also you might want to try actually buffing the stuff on a buffing wheel after sanding ,with white compound, when you are done.   It will look like Stone. Try it on a piece of scrap first to see if you like the look.

The stone look will fade a bit in time as the oils continue to leak out of the lignum.
Well, we are starting to get the depth or warmness that I have been looking for.  I think one or two more coats and this piece will be ready for delivery.

[Image: 57210080515-41071416-72-FF-4-B64-9-CBD-A...-F3786.jpg]

In case you didn't catch it in an earlier post, the finish is Minwax Antique Oil Finish, 3 coats with a light sanding between coats, after the final coat of antique oil finish was allowed to fully cure for a week, it was then top coated with (so far) 4 coats of Minwax Satin Poly with a light sanding between coats.

The folks I am building this table for did not want any defects repaired which made this just a little easier.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop