Drywall
(03-18-2019, 10:48 AM)WoodCzech Wrote: I agree that the wall drywall helps hold up the ceiling sheets, but somewhere I read to install the walls first half inch lower that the ceiling framing.  When putting up the ceiling, slide the sheets in the gap and it helps to hold them up while nailing/screwing.  Especially helpful if not using a lift.  

I did this when doing a workshop while back and it worked out well.

I read that skunks and raccoons make great pets.
Don't over think this or reinvent the wheel. They're round for a reason.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I did my "extra stall" a couple years ago. I purchased a Harbor Freight lift and sold it when done. Money well spent-I am cheap, that is why I did it myself. I think I did a pretty good job, but not good enough for a house or a church. I think a garage is a good diy project if you can live with a not perfect job.

Apply many coats of mud, but keep sanding to a minimum, like someone else said don't apply what you have to sand off.

I look at it that I have a nice bright finished garage for not a lot of money. It looks good, and most of my neighbors garages are bare studs.
(03-18-2019, 02:38 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I read that skunks and raccoons make great pets.
Don't over think this or reinvent the wheel. They're round for a reason.

Wow! Umkay....
I did my first whole-room drywall job just recently-- can't imagine doing it without a drywall lift.  Rented from home depot-- was 32 dollars for the 4 hour rental (i think 40-something for full 24 hours), best money spent on this project.  Made it go sooooooo much quicker.
I guess just make sure the lift will reach your height first (not sure if you have a real high ceiling in there?

Colin
Suggestions from someone who did install 92 sheets on a first time ever project. 
All above are on point. Re sanding, try wet sanding (with a sponge) to keep dust down. If you do dry sand, there are some great vacuum accessories that draw the dust thru water to capture the dust, also worth trying. Cover yourself and use a respirator. Wear a sponge under a hat to help support the board if not using a lift. A "T" type deadman works well as an extra set of hands when installing the ceilings first. I tried to minimize butt joints as making them invisible is a job for a pro...
Good luck with it
I do drywall painting
(03-17-2019, 11:59 AM)mickanick1 Wrote: Hello everyone, I want to drywall my garage this spring and was wondering if I should do the celling first or the walls or does it really matter. Thanks for the help and have a great day.

I assume that you have not rocked much if at all because of your question.
Do yourself a favor and hire someone to hang and tape the walls and ceiling.
mike
(03-24-2019, 10:43 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I assume that you have not rocked much if at all because of your question.
Do yourself a favor and hire someone to hang and tape the walls and ceiling.
mike

How do you learn if you never do it ?   Roly
I was at a friend's house the other day and there was glancing light down a hallway.  I had never really noticed before, but the seams on the drywall looked like a kindergartner had done it. He always praises his contractor, but I think the contractor had a helper learn on that job.  Or maybe it was the original builder.  The drywall on our house is the only thing I like about it, there a coat of plaster on top of they drywall.  Repair is easy, but I feel like I'm cutting into the work of a master when I do that.
(03-25-2019, 05:44 AM)Roly Wrote: How do you learn if you never do it ?   Roly

100%

I never worked in the trades. Between asking questions, reading, web-forums and now we have the luxury of YouTube at our fingertips, I've come to the point where my work looks as good as any contractor's as long as I do it the way it is supposed to be done. I just don't bite off more than I can chew. If I didn't do the work myself, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I may not be as fast as a contractor but the finished product is as good, maybe better because I have a vested interest. Something I learned is that things are done in a certain order, certain way wth certain materials for very good reasons. If I deviate from those ways, I wind up learning those reasons. For instance: installing ceiling drywall first and then the wall drywall from the top down is the right way.

Practice makes perfect. It will be easier next time, and even easier the time after that.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay