Anyone ever mounted a "under mount" sink as a surface mount?
LOML found a deal, which she dearly loves to do, especially when it's on something she wants.
Rolleyes  (always wondered where the clearance tag was on me when we met 
Laugh )

This time it's a large stainless steel sink -- no divider, etc, just a large, deep sink.

But it's an "under mount" and she's thinking she wants a laminate counter top ( cheaper, and she can change it in a few years.)

So she looks at me and says, "You can fix it, can't you?"

I know trouble when I see it so I'm asking the brain trust here if anyone's ever done it, and is it more complicated than cutting a tight-fitting hole and using plenty of silicone?
Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(04-04-2019, 08:14 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: LOML found a deal, which she dearly loves to do, especially when it's on something she wants.
Laugh )

This time it's a large stainless steel sink -- no divider, etc, just a large, deep sink.

But it's an "under mount" and she's thinking she wants a laminate counter top ( cheaper, and she can change it in a few years.)

I know trouble when I see it so I'm asking the brain trust here if anyone's ever done it, and is it more complicated than cutting a tight-fitting hole and using plenty of silicone?
Confused
Confused
Confused

Don't some go either way?  If it says undermount only, it may be for a reason.

My bride wants a large single bowl, deeper than standard, and not stainless.  I want top mount only.  I think there are like two cast iron sinks in whole world of Google that fit the bill.  Drop the 'deeper than standard' and the choices go up to maybe 5.
Never done this but just thinking out loud.  If it's undermount, I'm sure whatever lip is around the top of the sink is there purely as a spot to hold silicone to form a waterproof joint and probably not rated to hold the weight of a sink full of water and dishes.

If I were going to attempt something like that I'd probably still build up the wood structure inside the cabinet to carry the weight of the sink and utilize the underside of the top lip with silicone to seal it.  

OR..

Tell the wife that I "read the instructions" and it specifies undermount applications only
~ Chris
I think most/all undermount sinks have fairly flat rims that are not designed to be exposed above the counter surface.  To me, that means the edge of the sink is not likely to have a "rolled" edge which would provide a finished look for the installed product.  While you probably don't have to be concerned about burrs, I think the edge will still present an unfinished look and perhaps an uncomfortable edge that would catch all manner of gunk, including fingernails unless you're careful around it.

I think the real explanation is that undermount sinks and laminate counters may be fundamentally incompatible?

There's no need to "get religion" and start "reading the instructions".  Save that card for later, because you know it's coming. 
Wink
(04-04-2019, 08:14 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: LOML found a deal, which she dearly loves to do, especially when it's on something she wants.
Laugh )

Confused
Confused
Confused

A picture would help, but I'm guessing you could route a rabbet around the edge of the sink cut out and drop the sink in flush with the countertop into a bed of silicone.  Then make some sort of thin metal frame to bridge across the joint and silicone that in place.  

John
I just removed my undermount sink from the old granite countertops and installed it temporarily as a drop in on my temporary melamine countertops. New countertops are on order and a new sink will be installed then.

The edges of the undermount sink are not finished or rounded over like a drop in sink The flange is also not dead flat so there are some gaps between the counter and the sink flange.

[Image: OYK0ahi.jpg]

The gap under the corners

[Image: 6u82R5q.jpg]

Unfinished radius at the corners

[Image: XeME39p.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I've done it and it is not difficult as long as you are prepared to rework the exposed edge by shaping, sanding, polishing.
Wood is good. 
I just put in our new sink this week, it's made by Karran, I belive they make a stainless single bowl for laminate as well, mine is quartz.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-05-2019, 07:22 AM)cwarner Wrote: Never done this but just thinking out loud.  If it's undermount, I'm sure whatever lip is around the top of the sink is there purely as a spot to hold silicone to form a waterproof joint and probably not rated to hold the weight of a sink full of water and dishes.

If I were going to attempt something like that I'd probably still build up the wood structure inside the cabinet to carry the weight of the sink and utilize the underside of the top lip with silicone to seal it.  

Good point.  It's deep enough that when filled it will weigh a bunch.  I've got some stainless tubing to use building the support -- I've got a TIG I need to learn to use.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Why do a half-arsed job on the most expensive room in the house? Either upgrade the counter or sell the sink.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry