My kitchen remodel
Hell yeah!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Agreed, coming along really well.  

I may have missed it as this thread is getting really long, but how do you plan to finish the cabinets now that they are in place?  

John
(04-23-2019, 09:48 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Agreed, coming along really well.  

I may have missed it as this thread is getting really long, but how do you plan to finish the cabinets now that they are in place?  

John

Finish as in sealing or finish as in doors and drawers? 

I set the lowers in place and finished them with polyurethane.  Same as the uppers.  The frames are finished after they're installed.  5 coats of wipe on polyurethane with a light sanding between coats.

If you're talking about the doors and drawers I'll figure that out when I decide what style of door/drawer I want but not until the Walnut counter-tops are installed and sealed/finished.  But before all of that I have to figure out the shelf I want to go between the left and right set of upper cabinets so I can tie everything in.  Then Oak crown molding after the shelf.

I'm 2 months in on a project I expected to take 1 1/2 years....I'll probably be finished by the fall sooner if I motivate myself after work each day.
Big Grin

I just did the final sanding on all the shelves for the uppers and one lower cabinet this afternoon....
So after starting the crown molding then wasting an 8' piece trying to get the inside corners correct I took a 2 month break from my kitchen remodel and worked on other projects.   I went back to work on it and over the last few days I'm almost done with the crown molding after deciding to cheat on the inside corners and use blocks rather than cope the joints.  A few more small cuts, some gluing then some finishing and the crown molding will be complete. 

I decided to go with a shaker style door for the cabinets and they will look something like this (a picture I found on google images).  My intentions for this project was to use most of the Red Oak from the tree I had cut down almost 2 years ago but I realized I won't have enough for everything so I bought and milled some rough sawn Red Oak.  The door panels and drawer faces will be made from the Oak I have drying inside my home from the Willow Oak I had removed in November 2017.

Coming together nicely... looks good.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Excellent!, love the cabinets
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Nice work so far.
I'm nearly 6 months into this kitchen remodel project for my home and I finally hung 2 doors out of 13 for the upper cabinets.  I gave myself 1 1/2 years to complete this project and although I know I'll have a lot of little things to tidy up and finish I may finish it ahead of schedule.  (no, I'm not married and I'm in no hurry
Big Grin  )

While I've been waiting for the poly to dry between coats on the doors I managed to cut out 4 of the large drawers for the lower cabinets.  I already have the rails and styles ready to go for the lower cabinet doors I just need to make the inserts.
what did you use for the cabinet sides - 1/2 inch or 3/4 ply? I saw both at Home Depot.
(08-02-2019, 05:42 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: what did you use for the cabinet sides -  1/2 inch or 3/4 ply?  I saw both at Home Depot.

3/4" for the sides and bottom...1/2" for the backs.