Marples chisels: trying again
(06-04-2019, 03:01 PM)Tony Z Wrote: ...and for every chisel someone loathes, another will rise up loving it!  Could it be with practice/use, we've finally figured out how to hold our tongue?

For the record, I've got a huge hoard of chisels, new, vintage and antique.  I won't mention the ones I use, but I will mention a few I seem to never reach for:  750's and the various modern copies, original AI (too long for my liking) and Narex.

I have a fondness for the Stanley 60’s.  They’re what I learned with, cough, years ago.  Maybe as a consequence, I like the shorter length of butt chisels.  They are very tough and seemed to do the work of building a house with nary a complaint.
(06-04-2019, 10:42 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: I have a fondness for the Stanley 60’s.  They’re what I learned with, cough, years ago.  Maybe as a consequence, I like the shorter length of butt chisels.  They are very tough and seemed to do the work of building a house with nary a complaint.

I mentioned AI original bench chisels as one I do not like. However, some of my most used chisels are the AI butt chisels and AI round-backs. I too learned with shorter chisels, but in my case, it was the 1970's Craftsmen chisels, made like the Stanley 60's, but with clear&blue handles and metal strike tab. Frank Klaus promoted Record/Marples plastic handled chisels, but cutting the handle to a shorter length, to give control like butt chisels.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-04-2019, 03:01 PM)Tony Z Wrote: ...and for every chisel someone loathes, another will rise up loving it!  Could it be with practice/use, we've finally figured out how to hold our tongue?

For the record, I've got a huge hoard of chisels, new, vintage and antique.  I won't mention the ones I use, but I will mention a few I seem to never reach for:  750's and the various modern copies, original AI (too long for my liking) and Narex.

What is AI?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Ansley Isles? ....
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(06-05-2019, 07:46 AM)jppierson Wrote: Ansley Isles? ....

Ashley Iles.

Wink

http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/chisels.html
~Dan.
(06-01-2019, 02:23 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I owned some Marples chisels, purchased new, back in the 1970s.  I found them frustrating: they chipped way too easily.  So I got rid of them.  Today, at a moving sale, I gave in to temptation, and purchased a full set of Marples chisels with boxwood handles, nearly unused although a touch rusty.  We'll see if I have the same issues, or if I'm smarter now and thus better able to use them.

I always pretty good luck with my blue handle Marples chisels.  They held their edge well, and I find them comfortable to hold.  Good luck with the new set.

Scott
(06-06-2019, 01:10 PM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: I always pretty good luck with my blue handle Marples chisels.  They held their edge well, and I find them comfortable to hold.  Good luck with the new set.

Scott

Well, I'll hope that's the case here.  Their profile - thin, very narrow edges, handles sized to the width of the chisel - is certainly nice.
(06-06-2019, 01:10 PM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: I always pretty good luck with my blue handle Marples chisels.  They held their edge well, and I find them comfortable to hold.  Good luck with the new set.

Scott

I came across a set of four chisels identical to the blue handled Marples, but with green handles, marked "Greenlee" and made in Sheffield. Bought them, around $12.00, IIRC. Identical to the Marples/Record I have, excellent steel.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tongue 
I don't know if the Greenlee quality fell in later years, but their early chisels are respected: hard, good steel.
(06-08-2019, 08:33 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I don't know if the Greenlee quality fell in later years, but their early chisels are respected: hard, good steel.

I have two fine Greenlee chisels which were made in 1930. I have used them more than fifty years. The Greenlee brand stopped offering chisels maybe 75 years ago, but has operated continuously since 1862 and offers other tools.

Around 1979, as a result of the hand tool renaissance, they thought they would pretend to bring back their chisels by having their name branded on Sheffield products. They had an ad in Fine Woodworking and offered a catalog of edge tools, but it may not have lasted a year. At the time it was pretty easy to look at one of their chisels or gouges and identify which English company was making it.