best way to cut a plaster wall.
Imo you don't have to remove that last foot, I have a fiberglass tub surround that ends about a foot from the ceiling also, I tiled that area over the existing plaster 10 yrs ago and never had a problem, it's not going to get wet that high up.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
(06-17-2019, 02:01 PM)stav Wrote: Angle grinder and maybe and attachment like this one found on Amazon. Angle grinder dust shroud

That's pretty slick...In combination with a 1/16" thick cutting blade, the dust should be reduced drastically...
(06-18-2019, 11:49 AM)brianwelch Wrote: That's pretty slick...In combination with a 1/16" thick cutting blade, the dust should be reduced drastically...

Agreed. I was thinking about getting one of these myself.  Post back if you try it out.
I ordered the shroud.  There are others on the market, but they cost anywhere from $50.00 to $99.00 each.  I will let you know how well it works.  I should have it in time for the weekend when I am scheduled to make dust.
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
One of those oscillating tools made very short work of some drywall for me -- very straight cut, very little dust.
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-17-2019, 07:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: I need to remove that top foot of plaster and replace it with cement board. 

why?
(06-19-2019, 07:54 AM)tomsteve Wrote: why?

My house, bulit in 1953 has plaster walls.  The plaster walls are apparently a precursor to sheet rock.  They are long panels about 18" wide that are attached to the studs running horizontally.  The panels are about 1" thick and have a carboard backer, and include the metal lath.  

The cement board is about 1/2" thick.

If I leave the plaster at the top (1" thick), I have to build out the wall thickness below if I want to include all tile.  That would create a problem at the bottom for the tub which I am leaving in place.  The resulting tile wall would extend out over the tub's ledge.  It would not look right.  

So I can remove the plaster at the top, or I can paint the plaster at the top.  But I don't see a way to tile to the ceiling with the plaster at the top.  

Additionally there is a framed opening separating the vanity area from the tub area, and I want to remove that for a more open look.  That will require cutting, regardless.
(06-18-2019, 03:49 PM)Cooler Wrote: I ordered the shroud.  There are others on the market, but they cost anywhere from $50.00 to $99.00 each.  I will let you know how well it works.  I should have it in time for the weekend when I am scheduled to make dust.
Big Grin

The shroud arrived.   It appears to be well-made.  However the "universal fit" proved not to be universal enough.  After about one hour of struggling to get this on my Dewalt angle grinder I gave up.  I have an Amazon return authorization number and it will be returned.
(06-24-2019, 08:05 AM)Cooler Wrote: The shroud arrived.   It appears to be well-made.  However the "universal fit" proved not to be universal enough.  After about one hour of struggling to get this on my Dewalt angle grinder I gave up.  I have an Amazon return authorization number and it will be returned.

Would it fit a Harbor freight grinder
Was it too big or too small?