Wood floor layout
(07-13-2019, 08:57 AM)doobes Wrote: When the Hickory flooring was installed in my house, it was put in across the entryway like you propose and inline with the rest of the house.  Looks fine.

We were >< close to ordering Hickory from Lowes today. Nice look but HD had an oak that was very close in color for $0.60 a sq ft, plus another 5% cheaper with the contractor discount.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I look at all the ice cubes spitting out of my dispenser after I walk away. Make sure homeowners insurance will cover T&G wood in a kitchen. I wouldn't warranty it.

Ps. Ha! You are an inspector. Just read my Post.
I'm not concerned about home owners insurance to cover my flooring in front of the refrigerator. That's not why I have it. If there's a problem, I'll fix it. Most nicer new homes I inspect either have tile or wood in the kitchen. O wouldn't use a laminate or engineered ply. It isn't difficult to repair a wood floor. It's probably easier than repairing any other flooring.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-16-2019, 06:14 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'm not concerned about home owners insurance to cover my flooring in front of the refrigerator. That's not why I have it. SNIP>>>>

Sometimes I wonder why I have insurance. To get a decent repair the only time I called it up the cost was double what insurance paid. And, half the repair was of destruction by the emergency service crew.
(06-29-2019, 07:49 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I just ordered flooring for the dining area, kitchen, living room and entry hall. 3-1/4"w natural oak. I'm waffling between running it left to right or up and down or both. If I install it up and down, it would look good in the entry hall but wouldn't run the long length of of kitchen/dining area because it would run the short distance between the walls. If I ran it lengthwise in the kitchen/dining area, I perceive it would look better in those rooms, including the living room. Does this make sense? Would it look odd running the entry hall up and down and the other rooms lengthwise. <- That's my plan for now unless you talk me off the cliff.  

This area is the area in question.

Many manufactures of engineered hardwoods and laminates require you to install the flooring perpendicular to to the joist direction.
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
I did wind up running it all the same direction. Looks fine.

... Kizar Sosay