covered decking question
(07-24-2019, 03:30 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sounds like a bad idea, the surface will get water under it eventually and fail sooner or later.  I'm thinking a composite decking material might be best, the kind with the clips that don't have surface screws.  I re-surfaced my treated SYP deck with that stuff and 10 years later it looks as good as the day I put in in.

Yeah, but it is just over 6' and the composite decking is (expensive) and available in 12' lengths.  I'd be throwing out about 45% of the stuff.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-24-2019, 03:37 PM)Cooler Wrote: Yeah, but it is just over 6' and the composite decking is (expensive) and available in 12' lengths.  I'd be throwing out about 45% of the stuff.

It's also available in 20' lengths. Three pieces at 6'-6" would leave 6" of scrap (or2.5%).
Ceramic tile is an option. Sheet vinyl is an easy option. The vinyl planks that are fully adhered, may work if they really don't see much water, but they will fade.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
southern yellow pine is pretty good for exterior use. maintained properly it will last for many years
(07-25-2019, 04:07 AM)tomsteve Wrote: southern yellow pine is pretty good for exterior use. maintained properly it will last for many years

That would be my cheapest option.  The Douglas fir is in good shape except for the 6 or 8 inches at the end where it meets the decking.  It is slightly proud of the decking and and the paint gets worn off.  If any portion of that area would get wet that last 6" would be that area. 

Thanks for all the replies.

Cooler
Any reason you cannot save the original material? Sand/scrape and repaint or is it too far gone? Seems if it has lasted 60+ yrs something is working.
(07-26-2019, 08:40 AM)vernonator Wrote: Any reason you cannot save the original material? Sand/scrape and repaint or is it too far gone? Seems if it has lasted 60+ yrs something is working.

I will stick a knife in it tonight.  Then ends look very gray.  If only the very ends are soft I can sister up the joists underneath to get under solid wood.  Then it would be just paint.  It is certainly an attractive option.  I will check tonight.
So many options available for replacement of that old decking material but luxury vinyl flooring would not be one of them I would use. It is too reactive to UV light, temperature changes and excessive water. Rot resistant cedar, painted Douglas fir, SYP or hardwoods sawn for decking, pressure treated lumber, and composites, FastenMaster’s Cortex Hidden Deck Fastening System allows for fast and easy face-drilling installation in many popular composite decking brands and colors. I am very supportive of using a quality composite board like Azek, Fiberon, TimberTeck or Trex because of product availability, consistency, warranty, color options, durability, stain resistance, mold and mildew resistance, scratch resistance, ease of maintenance and replication of real wood. Upfront cost is higher but when you factor in other needed costs of lesser products it becomes more favorable in my opinion.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.