Vac / dust collector adapters
One place where I volunteer just got a hybrid table saw with a 4" dust port.   Unfortunately, no dust collector but a nice shop vacuum with a 2" hose.  Anyone aware of an adapter or some sort of PVC/rubber plumbing connectors that would allow us to hook this up and at least get some evacuation?

In the past, I've used 1 lb metal coffee cans that make a good male part for dust collection, but that does not resolve the different diameter problems.

Thanks in advance.
If you have a lathe availabe you can turn whatever you need out of wood, I have done this several times and works great. Othe possibilty would be to drill correct size holes, But a lathe will work great without the need for large drill bits.
Go to the box store and look at the PVC fittings, there will be (or should be) something that's close. It won't fit exactly, but that's solved with duct tape, a heat gun, or other various methods. Don't expect too much from the vac sucking on a TS.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fernco fittings may be your friend. Might be $10 to $15 when adapting PVC might be half that and take twice as long.
earl
(08-12-2019, 01:44 PM)bhh Wrote: One place where I volunteer just got a hybrid table saw with a 4" dust port.   Unfortunately, no dust collector but a nice shop vacuum with a 2" hose.  Anyone aware of an adapter or some sort of PVC/rubber plumbing connectors that would allow us to hook this up and at least get some evacuation?

In the past, I've used 1 lb metal coffee cans that make a good male part for dust collection, but that does not resolve the different diameter problems.

Thanks in advance.

Woodcraft, Amazon, Rockler, et al have off-the-shelf 4" to 2" adapters. I think I paid $6 for the last one I bought. So they are out there.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(08-12-2019, 08:13 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Woodcraft, Amazon, Rockler, et al have off-the-shelf 4" to 2" adapters.  I think I paid $6 for the last one I bought.  So they are out there.

yup:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-in-...rt-adapter

more choice & cheaper

https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_reducers.html

and:
https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/bla...s-fittings
I've been 3D printing my adapters. Sometimes it's a little trial and error to get it to work, but it's handy having the printer at my house.
Rockler sells 'em. I've got one - would cost too much to ship to you when you can get free shipping from Rockler
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard