Sketchup - web version is useless
I tried using the web version of sketchup today.  I imported a file from my hard drive.  I held the shift key and clicked the mouse scroll wheel to pan.  When I let go, my drawing was gone.  I clicked on the sketchup shortcut and found I was still logged in.  I re-opened my drawing, now from the on line library.  I repeated the attemp to pan the drawing and sure enough, I am no longer in sketchup.

I will fire up the old computer!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(08-15-2019, 04:20 PM)Cecil Wrote: I tried using the web version of sketchup today.  I imported a file from my hard drive.  I held the shift key and clicked the mouse scroll wheel to pan.  When I let go, my drawing was gone.  I clicked on the sketchup shortcut and found I was still logged in.  I re-opened my drawing, now from the on line library.  I repeated the attemp to pan the drawing and sure enough, I am no longer in sketchup.

I wonder if the problem was related to your browser or some library they rely upon for graphics?

Are others using it with success?

I'm an old timer, and prefer running things locally.
(08-15-2019, 04:20 PM)Cecil Wrote: I tried using the web version of sketchup today.  I imported a file from my hard drive.  I held the shift key and clicked the mouse scroll wheel to pan.  When I let go, my drawing was gone.  I clicked on the sketchup shortcut and found I was still logged in.  I re-opened my drawing, now from the on line library.  I repeated the attemp to pan the drawing and sure enough, I am no longer in sketchup.

Did you try hitting Zoom Extents to show the model? Can you share the model so I can take a look to see if I can see something that might have an impact? What browser are you using? What operating system? 

FWIW, I use SketchUp for Web in addition to SketchUp Pro. SketchUp for web is totally usable although the user interface is different than with the desktop client versions. The main limitation is the lack of ability to use extensions but for the majority of hobby users, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Quote:Are others using it with success?

Yes. There are lots of users using it with success.
(08-15-2019, 08:52 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Did you try hitting Zoom Extents to show the model? Can you share the model so I can take a look to see if I can see something that might have an impact? What browser are you using? What operating system? 

FWIW, I use SketchUp for Web in addition to SketchUp Pro. SketchUp for web is totally usable although the user interface is different than with the desktop client versions. The main limitation is the lack of ability to use extensions but for the majority of hobby users, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Yes. There are lots of users using it with success.

I am using Windows 10, with whatever updates M$ decided I needed last week.  I used Firefox to access Sketchup.

I do not want to zoom extents.  I don't want to see the whole model.  I want to pan it and work on some detail.  I can pan one direction just fine, but when I pan the other, the browser leaves the Sketchup site.
I've completely given up on Sketchup...what was a very good idea has been completely ruined by al the improvements. I don't even have the legacy program, it quit working and insists I upgrade to "pro"; hardly sensible for a hobbyist.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-16-2019, 05:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've completely given up on Sketchup...what was a very good idea has been completely ruined by al the improvements. I don't even have the legacy program, it quit working and insists I upgrade to "pro"; hardly sensible for a hobbyist.

Fred, the free versions of SketchUp don't just quit and insist that you upgrade to Pro. It might tell you that there's a new version available but that's not the same. Since you've given up, maybe it's not worth me trying to help you get it sorted out but I'll try.
(08-16-2019, 05:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've completely given up on Sketchup...what was a very good idea has been completely ruined by al the improvements. I don't even have the legacy program, it quit working and insists I upgrade to "pro"; hardly sensible for a hobbyist.

To a degree I agree with you Fred.  I'm still using SketchUp 2016 because my graphics card can't handle the requirements to run newer versions.  2016 works fine; 2008 worked fine for my needs actually, but over time Trimble kept cutting off access to the 3D Warehouse with the older versions so I had to keep upgrading.  But I'm on hold now with 2016 until this PC dies and I get something with an improved graphics card.   Like I said, I was fine with the first version of SketchUp I used.  I can't remember any of the improvements they kept making being important or necessary for my needs.  

But I haven't given up on SketchUp.  I use it for every project I build and it's an integral part of how I work.  

John
Dave, I appreciate the offer, but I've spent hours and hours (literally) uninstalling  and reinstalling the 2016 version...but it seems to think I went for the 30 day trial (por something) and that's over. I'm done with it...it's not worth the headache.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-16-2019, 09:07 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Dave, I appreciate the offer, but I've spent hours and hours (literally) uninstalling  and reinstalling the 2016 version...but it seems to think I went for the 30 day trial (por something) and that's over. I'm done with it...it's not worth the headache.

Well, that's a shame. From your description, you installed the Pro version instead of SketchUp 2016 Make so when the 30-day trial ended, it wouldn't work without adding a license. If you'd installed SketchUp 2016 Make instead, it would revert to Make after the 30-day Pro trial period ended.

Reminds me of this old doctor I used to work with. He wanted to give me a nice bandsaw he'd bought a few months earlier. Said it wouldn't cut worth a crap so he wanted it out of his shop. I went over to pick it up and discovered he had the blade inside out and the teeth pointing up. Easy fix once the problem was identified but he was ready to just throw it away.
Downloaded Make 2017.  The pan worked.  Hopefully all is good now.