How do you stain cane?
Relative had a cane chair the seat had blown out of and asked me to put in a new one. I hadn't done it in years but with a quick you tube search and a visit to ebay I was able to resurrect the skills and materials to get it done.  Problem  is it's practically white compared to the original back. I pulled out all my stains, some penetrating and some gel, but nothing works.  I need some advice from some one who knows what does!
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Never had any luck with it.  Even tried soaking the cane in a dye solution before applying.

One of my customers sold dark cane chairs but it was from a toner (finish with color in it) and easily chipped off.
(08-17-2019, 06:31 PM)bhh Wrote: Never had any luck with it.  Even tried soaking the cane in a dye solution before applying.

One of my customers sold dark cane chairs but it was from a toner (finish with color in it) and easily chipped off.

Funny thing is the back has a nice red oak color to it. I'm going to check over at Rockler tomorrow.
(08-17-2019, 12:41 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Relative had a cane chair the seat had blown out of and asked me to put in a new one. I hadn't done it in years but with a quick you tube search and a visit to ebay I was able to resurrect the skills and materials to get it done.  Problem  is it's practically white compared to the original back. I pulled out all my stains, some penetrating and some gel, but nothing works.  I need some advice from some one who knows what does!

....................Youtube may help..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5sxxM7zDgI
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I had a chair caned and the guy used amber shellac. Came out very nice.
(08-17-2019, 09:14 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................Youtube may help..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5sxxM7zDgI

That was helpful even though she didn't mention what kind of stain she was using. I finally went with 2 part of Sedona Red to 1 part Red Oak (Minwax Penetrating). The key is no wiping which is counter intuitive when dealing with stain. Brush on one coat. Let dry overnight. Brush on a second coat. Let dry overnight. Spray it with one coat of poly. Not perfect, but close.