Dovetails and Work Height
"bench height level with the pinky"

Way too low for me unless it is an assembly table. My old one was at least 4" from the pinky, the current one at least 6". I dont think there is a bench height rule that would fit everyone. The best height is one that works for you...for the dominant tasks (planing & sawing in my case).

Simon
Came across a picture of Jim Tolpin's dedicated joinery bench: it is his elbow height. This is in addition to his traditional bench.

[Image: screen-shot-2019-01-31-at-9.27.07-am.png]

Jim Tolpin Bench Height Article in PWW
Ok...got me ta thinking ( dangerous,
Rolleyes I know), so, went back to the shop....
Uhoh

Floor to top of my bench: 33-5/8"
I am 5'11" tall.....
Top of the bench is the same height as my wrist, when I stand beside the bench.

So..when I sit down on my shop stool....elbow is just above the top of the bench.
I sit as close to the bench as my knees will allow.
YMMV..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-02-2019, 12:56 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I am 5'11" tall.....
Top of the bench is the same height as my wrist, when I stand beside the bench.

YMMV..
Winkgrin

Your height suggests that your wrist should be 6" or more from the pinky tip.

Simon
(09-02-2019, 12:47 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Came across a picture of Jim Tolpin's dedicated joinery bench: it is his elbow height. This is in addition to his traditional bench.

I believe his other bench is by the window on the opposite side of this bench, Judging from where he places his bench planes, I assume this is also the bench he uses for planing tasks.

Simon
(09-02-2019, 01:18 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Your height suggests that your wrist should be 6" or more from the pinky tip.

Simon

5-1/2"...actually....just measured it a moment ago...
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Honestly, this thread is like a murder trial with Johnny Cochran and Atticus Finch as opposing attorneys.  The photo of Schwarz is of him sawing waste with a coping saw...of course he has to bend to see his cut line!  Also some of us need to be close up to see; being of a certain age.  Use blue masking tape if you wish (it works).  In the end just show me the money.  Every idea here works......for the person espousing it.
I don't care about Tom Tolpin's dedicated joinery bench: or what his elbow height is. And the height of his traditional bench to me is also a moot point.  Forget about what the other guy is doing.

Again I will say that bench height is important to for the type of work you do. You and only you will know. If you own a bench and it is to high, your body will tell you. Do yourself a favor and lower it, if it is to low put it on some paint cans or something and raise it. Your body will thank you for it. If you are going to build a bench please don't rely on someone else's dimensions experiment and find the sweet spot for yourself. Your body will thank you.

When it comes to cutting dovetails, some say tails first. Others are adamant about pins first.  Some prefer a western saw and others prefer a pull type saw. So the question is which came first the chicken or the egg. How I like to position myself and how high I want the cutting height to be has nothing to do with how you cut them or your body position.

Again what I am writing is forget the other guy and what he is doing. Play around with different heights and find what is right for you. Back pain is a real deterrent and arthritis happens to the best of us.  

The first picture is where I started when it came time for me to find a height that works for me.

[attachment=20332]

Then I started developing my vise. the next two pictures.

[attachment=20333]

[attachment=20334]

I thought all of this was important enough for me to go through to find the spot where I could work comfortable all day. I will be 74 next month and I no longer change clothes in a phone booth. MY point is listen to your body believe me I do. Again I hope this helped someone.

Tom
(09-02-2019, 02:40 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Here's another Moxon-style vise.
[Image: 48667271797_60c5a7fa3f_n.jpg]
I'm working on plans for it at the moment. The author made it 7 in. tall but there's no reason that height couldn't be adjusted.
Then why make it 7 inches tall in the first place. Then there will be no reason to modify it. Find some way to find the height before you build it. 

Tom
(09-02-2019, 03:23 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Honestly, this thread is like a murder trial with Johnny Cochran and Atticus Finch as opposing attorneys.  The photo of Schwarz is of him sawing waste with a coping saw...of course he has to bend to see his cut line!  Also some of us need to be close up to see; being of a certain age.  Use blue masking tape if you wish (it works).  In the end just show me the money.  Every idea here works......for the person espousing it.

(  Every idea here works......for the person espousing it.)  Well said .

The original post had to deal with work piece height and back trouble so where does the photo of Schwarz sawing waste with a coping saw fit in? 

Tom