Millers Falls Router Plane To Keep or Not To Keep
....that is the question, whether tis nobler to suffer with the plane I've got or invest in one I don't.

Any opinions as to whether it is worth selling off my venerable and nearly mint condition Millers Falls No. 67 router plane and put whatever I yield into a LV router plane?
Why?  Does it not work well?  If you don't have the attachment to close the mouth, and if you want to use it for working on edges a lot, then maybe so.  But it's not like you need to worry about how to adjust the mouth, or anything like that; the metal router plane is a simple tool.  Unless it's warped or broken, it should work as well as the LV.  If you need more cutters, check with LV; their catalog copy says the LV cutters work on Stanley router planes, but I betcha they'd work on M-F router planes, too.
If its complete with all the parts, I don't see why. The advantage to the LV in my mind is really only that its got a more sophisticated adjustment mechanism, and while it has a more robust fence, I can honestly say that maybe I've used the fence only once or twice, and really didn't have to. LV also offers a range of extra irons, but they will fit in the #67 anyway.

That being said, if you've got a puptent in your shop apron for the LV plane, then go for it. Complete routers are bringing pretty good prices nowadays for some strange reason, and if its as crisp as you say and complete, figure $60 at the low end and $70 at the high end. On an ebay auction you might get collector action if you have the box.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-07-2019, 09:25 AM)Admiral Wrote: If its complete with all the parts, I don't see why.  The advantage to the LV in my mind is really only that its got a more sophisticated adjustment mechanism, and while it has a more robust fence, I can honestly say that maybe I've used the fence only once or twice, and really didn't have to.  LV also offers a range of extra irons, but they will fit in the #67 anyway.

That being said, if you've got a puptent in your shop apron for the LV plane, then go for it.  Complete routers are bringing pretty good prices nowadays for some strange reason, and if its as crisp as you say and complete, figure $60 at the low end and $70 at the high end. On an ebay auction you might get collector action if you have the box.

Thanks all.  I'm going to hang it to it for now and see if a LV cutter actually fits.
(09-08-2019, 01:50 PM)gregbois Wrote: Thanks all.  I'm going to hang it to it for now and see if a LV cutter actually fits.

Give a call to tech support at LV, they will confirm, and are great folks, helped me out a few times in the past.  If they fit a Stanley, they should fit yours.
Or an e-mail.  They're quick to respond to e-mails, and, in my experience, will diligently research the question if they don't know, even though the staff time to do the research will exceed any profit LV might make from the sale.  And I bet there's a Millers Falls router plane in their huge "research collection" of tools, so they can answer the question quickly and with certainty.

If they do fit, suggest to LV that they amend their catalog copy to make that clear.
(09-08-2019, 09:26 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: If they do fit, suggest to LV that they amend their catalog copy to make that clear.

Yup they pay attention, I have asked several questions and gotten answers and made that suggestion, and the catalog descriptions were changed.  Last one was back when when they started selling shellac and I wanted to know if it was dewaxed....
Seen at a local Antique Mall....
Confused

$32 coat rack/ dowel cutter?
No
Angry

Would have cost me  another $40 to get it back to work....
Upset
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I've paid that for a Stanley router plane with one cutter - and it's below eBay prices, too.  Plus, you'd get that nice chunk of wood and two screw eyes!
Wink 
No, no, don't sell it!!!

After you get your LV router plane, trust me, you'll know why you should have 2. [Image: wink.png]

BTW, thought I would mention I'm not totally happy with the LV router plane. I have trouble with the lock screw getting loose. Co-incidentally, I have the same issue with their wheel marking gauge.

Had to do over, I would buy a Lie Nielsen.