Pergola material
I am wanting to finally build the pergola over my patio. The posts are already set in the patio so those dimensions cannot change. The link below is what I am using as my design. I was wanting to use cedar and started looking for dimensional cedar in western NY. The pieces labeled C in the plans need to be about 17'2". What I am finding is 16' is as long as I can get. Any one know of any companies in the northeast that source cedar? I did find one in CA but that shipping is probably going to be expensive. If I can't source the 18' what would be the best joint to make the 16' a couple feet longer?

Pergola Plans
Not sure how thick those beams need to be, but I think I would glue 2 thinner ones together while overlapping the joints. You'd need to use a good quality Type 1 waterproof glue, and maybe some screws if you can hide them in some fashion (stainless, of course). The joints in each board where the ends meet could be 1/2 lap joints.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-04-2019, 01:27 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Not sure how thick those beams need to be, but I think I would glue 2 thinner ones together while overlapping the joints. You'd need to use a good quality Type 1 waterproof glue, and maybe some screws if you can hide them in some fashion (stainless, of course). The joints in each board where the ends meet could be 1/2 lap joints.

Or try scarfing (scarphing) 1:10 or 1:12 laps...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint
I built a very similar pergola in 2015.  I bought 20-footers through Menards, a regional big box chain.  I don't know if they have them in your area.

They were special order, but I was very happy with what I got.

I'm surprised that a local lumber yard (a "real" lumber yard that's used by local contractors there) can't get 20-foot cedar lumber for you.  They're pricey, but I think the looks of cedar are worth it.
I have a couple more stores to call. The ones I have talked to made calls to suppliers but were not able to source longer than 16'. Interesting one lumber store web site had a link to their cedar supplier. On the supplier web site they listed Lowes as a retailer. I might also try giving Lowes a try. Unfortunately no Menards here.

I was wondering about a scarf joint or a bridle joint. But I am still wondering how to make those cuts with a 16' board. This is all 2x6 lumber with the top boards being 2x4.
I did find a supplier. I think they are using a company called Real Cedar out of CA. The price for 2x6x18' clear cedar was $365. C or better was only $150. I am thinking C or better might be my path forward unless some one can tell me a reason not to use it. My understanding is C or better has some small tight knots. That doesn't sound like it should cause more waste but just have some aesthetics difference. The lead time is about 3 weeks which puts me later in the season than I want this year so I thin I will wait until the spring to place the order. That gives me some time to get all my other decisions like finish and fasteners figured out.
In the Dallas area we have Lee Roy Jordan Lumber and they stock 20' Cedar.  Of course shipping from Dallas would be too expensive.

I have a concern; seems to me 17' 2" is a long distance for a 2x8, am I wrong?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(10-04-2019, 01:05 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I am wanting to finally build the pergola over my patio. The posts are already set in the patio so those dimensions cannot change. The link below is what I am using as my design. I was wanting to use cedar and started looking for dimensional cedar in western NY. The pieces labeled C in the plans need to be about 17'2". What I am finding is 16' is as long as I can get. Any one know of any companies in the northeast that source cedar? I did find one in CA but that shipping is probably going to be expensive. If I can't source the 18' what would be the best joint to make the 16' a couple feet longer?

Pergola Plans

84 Lumber (Rochester) might be able to get it for you..  Otherwise, I think a proper scarf joint is probably the way to go.
The Japanese carpenters made many very sturdy scarf joints in the huge wooden temples they built.  You could use one of them.
                  Howard
I am confused. And, my math is not the best..... Doesn't 96" + (9.5" x 2) =115" = 9'-7"?  Or, did you expand the base square to more than 8-feet?

Regardless, you can always stack short cross pieces, or use corbels, to carry a shorter beam. If you expanded the size of the screen you have changed the structural criteria. Wood needs to be upsized, as do the overhangs to also account for scale. I would move to smooth (above grade) treated wood. One hazard of home outdoor construction is the niggardly use of wood sizes. Example: a 4x4 supports my porch roof--niggardly--but the finished column is 9 - 10" square. Our brains like mass. 

You want to paint cedar, or paper wasps will steal all of your wood; I lost 1/16th of some post surfaces over the coarse of about 4 years before breaking down and using latex paint. The original was stain, and I noticed other stains (colors) had been pilfered for nearby nests.