Daily Bench Shot

Cheese board with laminated cherry, hard maple and walnut.

Been a while since I got any shop time but had a little time yesterday afternoon to finish up this little project.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Very nice cutting board Rob. It has the feel of a lot of movement.
Wife requested a box for a gift. She had specific requests that I was afraid would look busy. I decided to make two different boxes at the same time, using similar materials. She can pick the one she likes the best. Wood used were solid cherry and walnut, plus cherry and copper veneer. Still not sure about the design, but it’s been a fun project to experiment with both wood and copper veneer. All that is left is hinge installation and I can get these off my bench.

[Image: full]

John
Love the copper detail .... can you share more on how you did that (and/or link to technique)?
(10-08-2019, 10:50 AM)BpB123 Wrote: Love the copper detail .... can you share more on how you did that (and/or link to technique)?

Thanks,

The copper veneer comes from Joe Woodworker.  He has all the details needed.  Last month he ran a real good sale on the copper veneer, so this project gave me an excuse to try it. It comes in a variety of patina colors.  Wife picked the green and gold because that's the colors of the college the recipient graduated from  This is the link to most everything you need to know about this product:

https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/faq-copper.htm

I do have a vacuum press, but did not want to buy the special glue required for the copper in a vacuum press, so I went with the second option of the old fashion contact cement.  The contact cement has limitations, but figured it wasn't a big risk since the veneered panels are trapped in a frame.  The stuff is real thin and bends easily.  I did well by rolling it out on a plywood sheet and moved it around the shop on that.  if you try to pick a large sheet with your hands, it will crease.  A roller does work any creases out.  Make sure the substrate is clean, any sawdust will show up as dimples when rolled out after gluing or pressing. Utility knife worked better to cut it than scissors.  Utility knife leaves a cleaner, crease free edge. The finish can scratch easily, so a protective coating is recommended.  I did have one scratch that the bright copper showed through.  A colored marker of a similar color before putting on the coating made it invisible.
John
(10-06-2019, 10:59 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Cheese board with laminated cherry, hard maple and walnut.

Been a while since I got any shop time but had a little time yesterday afternoon to finish up this little project.

Cheese board. Hmmmm. Tell me the details Rob. Doesn't look very edible......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-08-2019, 02:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Cheese board. Hmmmm. Tell me the details Rob. Doesn't look very edible......

I couldn't spell "charcuterie"...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-08-2019, 03:00 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I couldn't spell "charcuterie"...

Oh.......nice save.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-08-2019, 03:00 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I couldn't spell "charcuterie"...

You're a meat eater and can't spell charcuterie?

Well I blew it too, left the R out even while looking at the word. Stupid fingers.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Thanks John... That is very helpful (added to my never ending list of project / ideas to try
Smile)