Paint storage
I would like to remove the paint from my shop to a refrigerator (of no use).  My question is, what size light bulb would I need to keep the paint from freezing.  Though for the most part do not go below freezing much, we have been down to 10 degrees.

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
The one I used for keeping welding rod dry and for glue storage, I kept a 40w or a oven bulb in it.
I remember putting a 75w in it one time. It was 200 degrees in there........Lol
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not much.  You just want to keep it from freezing; even a 15 watt bulb will put out a fair amount of heat.  The paint also has a fair amount of thermal mass, so it will store energy and emit it back out if the ambient temperature inside the box drops below the temperature of the paint.

Based on your post, the box will be kept outside.  My hunch, which is not scientific, is that a 15 watt bulb would suffice for heat source in an insulated box like a refrigerator in an area where the average low temperature is above the freezing mark.  I wouldn't go any bigger than a 40 watt bulb.  Keep a small thermometer inside the box and check it in the mornings as we head deeper into the winter season.  Increase the wattage on the bulb if needed.
(10-28-2019, 06:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: The one I used for keeping welding rod dry and for glue storage, I kept a 40w or a oven bulb in it.
I remember putting a 75w in it one time. It was 200 degrees in there........Lol

The original Easy-Bake Oven used only a 100W incandescent as its heat source. In the limited space used in the oven, that was enough to get it to 350 degrees or more.
Get something like this thermostat with a probe you can install inside the fridge to regulate the temp. Just drill a hole for the probe to install it, then seal the hole.

Then I would use a 40 watt appliance bulb on a dimmer. If you dim the bulb even 50%, the bulb will last a long long time. (Dimmer connects after the thermostat).

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11939-Tempe...3&sr=8-111
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-seale...95902.html

Leftover paints that have been opened should be closed up tightly, stored in a cool, dry place and used within two years.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
To heat such a small area, it doesn't take much. I'd bet a 15 watt bulb will get overly warm in there. You might not even need it to be burning except on the very coldest days.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-29-2019, 07:13 AM)Cooler Wrote: Leftover paints that have been opened should be closed up tightly, stored in a cool, dry place and used within two years.

Leftover paint/varnish can keep much, much longer (years) if you use Bloxygen - it's a can of pressurized argon gas. Just spray into the can for a few seconds and the argon replaces the oxygen, no more hardening or skimming over.  About $12/can, good for using on 30 one gallon or 70 one quart containers.

With the cost of finishes these days, it can save a bunch of money. Been using it for years....

Amazon
I have used a 15 watt for paint and glue. Fridge was in an unheated shop at the time. This was before I retired and would only heat the shop on weekends. 30 miles north of Green Bay so some brutal cold at times. !5 kept it plenty warm. Do not use an energy efficient though, they give off much less heat which is good for everything I can think of except this use.
(10-29-2019, 07:29 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Leftover paint/varnish can keep much, much longer (years) if you use Bloxygen - it's a can of pressurized argon gas. Just spray into the can for a few seconds and the argon replaces the oxygen, no more hardening or skimming over.  About $12/can, good for using on 30 one gallon or 70 one quart containers.

With the cost of finishes these days, it can save a bunch of money. Been using it for years....

Amazon

I was not aware of that.  Basically any tinted paint is "left over" as the can has already been opened twice by the vendor.  I'll check out the bloxygen.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.