Anyone make Tumi Ishi blocks here?

Saw an article where a guy who has a sawmill makes them. Was wondering if there is any special trick to this?  Eldest son really enjoys sending pics of people’s balanced rock formations. I have lots of various chunks of wood that could be made into these “stones” as a Christmas gift. 

https://www.amazon.com/handmade/Tumi-Ish...65-8054800
Jim

Remember the bird has a right wing and a left wing and uses both to fly. 
  Re: Anyone make Tumi Ishi blocks here? by stoppy (Saw an article where...)
I'm not a Tumi Ishi block maker, but you did prompt me to use Google to find yet one more thing I had no idea existed Smile
  Re: RE: Anyone make Tumi Ishi blocks here? by farmerj111 (I'm not a Tumi Ishi ...)
(11-08-2019, 08:20 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: I'm not a Tumi Ishi block maker, but you did prompt me to use Google to find yet one more thing I had no idea existed Smile

Laugh Laugh  My wife sent it to me and I had the same issue. We can both go to bed now we learned one new thing today. 
Think I’m going to mess around with some of my scraps and make a small set. Certainly not a issue making a beeswax and oil finish.
Jim

Another day and I'm little bit smarter. Of course, I'm 72 yo and still feel pretty ignorant at times.  Big Grin Would be great for someone that has a both at a craft fair
  Re: RE: Anyone make Tumi Ishi blocks here? by Halfathumb (Another day and I'm ...)
(11-09-2019, 09:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Another day and I'm little bit smarter. Of course, I'm 72 yo and still feel pretty ignorant at times.  Big Grin Would be great for someone that has a both at a craft fair

Exactly, which we have a week from today. Going to make a couple sets today.
Jim

They look to me like Pet rock's or blocks.
Those are made by simply holding the piece against a disk sander at random angles. The blocks shown on Amazon are made locally here from wood I sell from the Saint Louis Forest.

They are fun to play with. I have the record for our set of a tower nine tall. Most of my competitors were under ten years old.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Oh! ??? They don't have a bottle of Titebond out of the picture?
Before putting them to disk sander I’ve been knocking some of the corners off them on the bandsaw. 

Took 5 sets of 11 blocks each to the craft show yesterday, sold four of them. Fifth one is also sold to a neighbor.
Jim

Shocked    Re: RE: Anyone make Tumi Ishi blocks here? by stoppy (Before putting them ...)
(11-17-2019, 01:50 AM)stoppy Wrote: Took 5 sets of 11 blocks each to the craft show yesterday, sold four of them. Fifth one is also sold to a neighbor.

Just wondering how much they sold for and what people will pay for scrap sanded down??  Rolleyes