Homegrown Spindle Sander Sleeves
I'm thinking about an idea for a lathe mounted drum for sanding the inside of bracelets.     I'm also thinking about cutting and glueing my own sleeves.  I can get a custom size,  I can get whatever grits I want and sandpaper is cheaper.  Would there be an issue with 1/2" or so of overlap of the sleeve on the drum for the glueline?  I'd make sure the overlap was such that the top overlaps the bottom in the opposite direction the lathe travels.

Overlap may cause a bump in sanding. Figure out how to eliminate that bump.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I know belt paper is butted together and then special tape applied and edges glued.  I have been wanting to make a long 8" belt sander on the lathe but can not figure out how to do it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-04-2019, 01:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Overlap may cause a bump in sanding. Figure out how to eliminate that bump.

i'm wondering how much of a bump and how bad it will be and what effect the bump will have on the sanding.   I'm also thinking about butting the edges and glue + carpet tape.  there will be less of a bump that way.

Cut a slit in the drum and glue the paper in the slit?
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(12-05-2019, 09:00 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Cut a slit in the drum and glue the paper in the slit?

I thought about that. The drum is going to be wood with slits cut up it.  When I crank down my cone center, that will expand the drum and keep the sandpaper in place.  gluing them means I have to clean the drum each time.  Ive also thought about possibly finding carboard tubes or thin paper that wont have as big a bump if I overlap it, overlapping that and gluing sandpaper to those.

I found this . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1D97QJ/ref...WNrPXRydWU=

(12-04-2019, 08:08 PM)crokett™ Wrote: i'm wondering how much of a bump and how bad it will be and what effect the bump will have on the sanding.   I'm also thinking about butting the edges and glue + carpet tape.  there will be less of a bump that way.

Butting should work I would think
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-05-2019, 02:11 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I found this . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1D97QJ/ref...WNrPXRydWU=

why not make a flap sander??????...Or a butt joint on a 45* angle to minimize any "bump".........
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I used a piece of pvc pipe wrapped in psa sandpaper. No bump if you leave a slight gap.
VH07V