Advice sought on skew handle
(12-04-2019, 01:27 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: Thank you all for the responses. I think I'm good to go.

By the Way, good video Mike. I saw those plates of steel from China and I am going to look into that. I may be able to make a bedan and/or parting tool, with one of those cheap China HSS plates or squares.
A large 1/2" pig sticker can make a good bedan..Check the edge with a file to see if it is still hard...if not, heat it cherry red and quench, place in 350* oven for 1/2hr. to temper.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I thought a pig sticker is a knife. What did you have in mind?
(12-06-2019, 09:47 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I thought a pig sticker is a knife. What did you have in mind?

Mortising chisel...available in various sizes...I sometimes use a heavy one with a 1/2" edge....check ebay of the S&S.....I have seen them listed for 5/10 bucks....

You could also make your own out of High speed steel square stock from Amazon..available in several sizes and lengths.....holds a great edge, can be ground to shape on a bench grinder and does not require hardening and tempering.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset