Stanley no48 in use. Tuning/Tweaking
So I've got a Type 1 Stanley no48, along with some cutters from St James Bay Tool Co. This weekend I cut some test tongues and grooves. When I tried to set the tongue into the groove, it was tight by about 1/32". The cutters are both exactly 5/16" and they are pressed firmly against the plane body. If I need to do any tweaking, should I tweak the cutter or the body of the plane? Any other tips from experience users?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
(01-22-2020, 01:36 PM)dave brown Wrote: So I've got a Type 1 Stanley no48, along with some cutters from St James Bay Tool Co. This weekend I cut some test tongues and grooves. When I tried to set the tongue into the groove, it was tight by about 1/32". The cutters are both exactly 5/16" and they are pressed firmly against the plane body. If I need to do any tweaking, should I tweak the cutter or the body of the plane? Any other tips from experience users?

What is the measurement of the gap between the blades?  Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it also be exactly 5/16" (i.e. the expected width of the tongue).  If your tongue is too wide for your groove then I believe the gap between blades is too wide.  Don't know how you would fix that if this is the case.