If anyone has scrap wood and wish to get rid of it
Arlin,

You might also check with custom cabinet shops in your area and offer to take shorts of fine wood they would normally have to dispose of.  Make sure you let them know their donations would be used for the charity. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(02-11-2020, 08:30 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Arlin,

You might also check with custom cabinet shops in your area and offer to take shorts of fine wood they would normally have to dispose of.  Make sure you let them know their donations would be used for the charity. 
Smirk

Thanks Jim
I will not tell them we are a charity since we are not yet, but what I do with others.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, I have struck a deal with Mike.  He is doing a CNC project for me.  For payment, I am to ship to you a large box of cut offs.  Would you please PM the address you want me to use.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks Bill.........
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin
are you ever in south east mi or have a friend that travels this way ?
I could fix you up with lots of scrap wood oak ' cherry ' and maple some times sassafras
i am right off I69 near the port huron sarnia border
i just burn wood scrap you would be welcome to it
(02-11-2020, 08:30 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Arlin,

Smirk

No need to go into charity, etc. just tell them who you are and what you are doing and how they can help.  I've talked to two corporate sources and they both were too busy to help, but I bet smaller shops would be more helpful.

Also look at "Pallet Wood" - I've cut up lots of pallets that had some interesting wood in them.  Cut them instead of knocking apart so you'll know where the nails are.   DAMHIKT
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(02-14-2020, 01:40 PM)oakey Wrote: Arlin
are you ever in south east mi or have a friend that travels this way ?
I could fix you up with lots of scrap wood  oak ' cherry ' and maple some times sassafras
i am right off I69 near the port huron sarnia border
i just burn wood  scrap  you would be welcome to it

Well I wish I was now. 
Big Grin

I live on the western part of Iowa.  So wish I could get there and I would get it all.
Thank you very much for the thought tho.

(02-14-2020, 07:32 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: No need to go into charity, etc. just tell them who you are and what you are doing and how they can help.  I've talked to two corporate sources and they both were too busy to help, but I bet smaller shops would be more helpful.

Also look at "Pallet Wood" - I've cut up lots of pallets that had some interesting wood in them.  Cut them instead of knocking apart so you'll know where the nails are.   DAMHIKT
Rolleyes

I will have to look up what cabinet shops there are out there and call them to see.  The one I picked thru along time ago I was told is now closed where I did get some ply scraps and that is always welcome to.

There is a paper towel holder still in use that I made with a cabinet shop's scraps, a circ saw and a router nearly 40 years ago. Where there's a will, there's a way.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(02-12-2020, 02:32 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Arlin, I have struck a deal with Mike.  He is doing a CNC project for me.  For payment, I am to ship to you a large box of cut offs.  Would you please PM the address you want me to use.

Enjoy Arlin and Bill!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.