Small cabinet build-along
Crips that is looking nice.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Back in the shop. Listened to Irma Thomas again, I guess I'm infatuated with her music right now. Also Allen Toussaint, and I forget what else.

The top frame is rather thick, and the panel sits a fair way below the top. The inside of the top frame needs to be lightened up visually. I erased about 1/8" on the insides with a skew rabbet plane. I've had wonky results with this plane in the past, until I finally realized I had the blade set a little inboard. That caused it to drift away from the piece with each cut. It was easy to bump it over, so the outside of the blade is flush with the body. Now it works perfectly!

[Image: i-fzKmXt8-M.jpg]

Closeup after. The transition is a bit abrupt, but I'll take care of that momentarily.

[Image: i-NZCpdn4-M.jpg]

Dry fit to see how I did. This is a much cleaner, less slabby look, with the panel not buried under so much wood as before. 

[Image: i-scpT76N-M.jpg]

About the transition from the thinner insides to the thicker outsides. I planned for a 45 degree bevel, though as it turned out, I had my skew rabbet plane set a little too wide for that. (The outside of the transition bevel has to line up with the insides of the legs, or it will look stupid.) I could still chisel a slope, albeit steeper than I planned for, to ease the inside-to-outside transition. The guide clamped on top is cut at 45 degrees, so it is not useful as an angle guide. It still helps keep my chisel on line though. First across.

[Image: i-TMVLWQC-M.jpg]

Then down, lots of times, walking all the way across. The chisel is not riding the angle guide. It's up higher. Correct angle is established by eye.

[Image: i-SfQF7vV-M.jpg]

A much friendlier transition now.

[Image: i-WNvB6rL-M.jpg]

Another dry fit.

[Image: i-M8jbpNZ-M.jpg]

The planed-off portions on the inside are not perfectly aligned in height. This is the worst corner, with the rear a bit higher than the side. It's not too bad. A few more swipes with the plane will get very close. Final leveling will have to be done after glue-up anyway. But the amount of adjustment at that point has to be minimal.

[Image: i-6JvSXvM-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
It looks delicate like a picture frame.  I think after I get done with all my projects I will have to get down and dirty and try something nice for my wife even if it takes a year to do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-31-2020, 01:51 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It looks delicate like a picture frame.  I think after I get done with all my projects I will have to get down and dirty and try something nice for my wife even if it takes a year to do.

I'm not sure I'd call it delicate, but I wouldn't want to sit on it. Picture frames are fun to make. Great gifts too.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I spent part of today in the shop, listening to old familiar music from years ago, and making a little more progress. Aretha Franklin, Elton John's Greatest Hits, and a ska band called The Slackers. 

The right side will have a door. This will be my first time installing knife hinges. Step one, dry fit and make sure this thing is square. it is.

[Image: i-DgZqZsP-M.jpg]

I need 2 divider frames. I took the easy way out and Dowelmax-ed them.

[Image: i-2S3zzRd-M.jpg]

[Image: i-vbvpZdb-M.jpg]

They will go here, more or less.

[Image: i-htR9Nf5-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

Looks like with the dividers you are going to have 3 doors?  Or 2 doors and a drawer?

(06-01-2020, 12:45 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looks like with the dividers you are going to have 3 doors?  Or 2 doors and a drawer?

Yoooouuu'lll seee....

Big Grin
Best,
Aram, always learning

(06-01-2020, 12:45 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looks like with the dividers you are going to have 3 doors?  Or 2 doors and a drawer?

Another step in the oddest glue-up ever. 

[Image: i-d5gZhxB-M.jpg]

The assembled parts are all glued. The separate parts, obviously, are not.

[Image: i-Lvp7rHW-M.jpg]

Originally, I planned to have 5 drawers in the left section, 5 in the middle, and a door on the right. My current thinking is to keep the middle drawers, but have a 5-shelf pullout unit on the left. Built like a drawer on its side, with dividers as shelves. Designing this thing on the fly, for better or worse.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Sectional glue-ups are good!   Myself and other Gerstner toolbox restorers do that a lot.

Designing on the fly is good!  That's how I get by with limited time to do my woodworking.  I'm usually happy with how it works out -- happy enough;  no woodworker is ever 100% happy.

Chris
Chris
Careful....there may be somebody that comes along, and cries about "Too Many Clamps".....
Rolleyes

Looking good, so far!
Cool

Will make my building of a Kitchen Island seem way too easy...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that