Requirements for painting Ipe
HOA says to paint the treads. They have no idea what Ipe is and why it was installed. One side of the tread is weathered, as it has been there for years and the other side is not weathered. I just need to know what I must do to get the paint to adhere.

Thank you
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
(06-18-2020, 10:50 AM)Herb Wrote: HOA says to paint the treads. They have no idea what Ipe is and why it was installed. One side of the tread is weathered, as it has been there for years and the other side is not weathered. I just need to know what I must do to get the paint to adhere.

Thank you

I suggest you speak with a paint expert at Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore.
(06-18-2020, 10:50 AM)Herb Wrote: HOA says to paint the treads. They have no idea what Ipe is and why it was installed. One side of the tread is weathered, as it has been there for years and the other side is not weathered. I just need to know what I must do to get the paint to adhere.

Thank you
A long-ish article you might want to show to your HOA.  

https://blog.advantagelumber.com/2020/01...-ipe-wood/

Why Ipe Is Not Paintable

First, let’s look at the source of the problem. We paint wood all the time; why is ipe different?
Exotic hardwoods (including ipe and its friends: cumaru, tigerwood, etc.) are not like most woods. Paint won’t stick to them! For one, they’re just too dense. The tight grain squeezes other substances out, and creates a relatively non-porous surface (compared to softer woods) that leaves the paint with nothing to cling to.

However you can stain Ipe.
https://www.novausawood.com/exoshield?gc...gKNtfD_BwE

Search here for more information:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...LsQ4dUDCAs
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
One more reason not to live in an HOA.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-19-2020, 08:50 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: One more reason not to live in an HOA.

We had a HOA in my condominium.  I found dealing with them distasteful.  And also some of he board's members had personal agendas that were at odds with my moral code. 

I also would avoid living in a house that was a member of a HOA.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-19-2020, 08:50 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: One more reason not to live in an HOA.

I'd say about 99% of decks I inspect with severe rot issues are painted. The wood can't dry out once wet. IMHO, it's foolish to paint decking. Right up there with HOAs
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Painting exterior stair treads could result in a slip hazard when wet. Your HOA people are absolutely nuts for demanding any finish applied to exterior Ipe wood. Nothing is going to stick and it will create more work and more money to fix. Nothing ever needs to be done but some cleaning and it will outlast us all.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.