VFD Help Needed
Hi,

I just got a 1948 unisaw with an original 1.5HP 3PH "bullet" motor. I don't have 3PH in my shop so I am considering a VFD.

I've done some research about sizing and I'll more than likely buy something through a reputable dealer and hopefully they can help out with selection.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good brand? Model?

I think my FLA is around 3.8 amps.

The other thing is the wiring. Can I get some SOOW 12/4 to feed the motor from the VFD?

I think I'll need to feed the VFD with 220W which is not an issue. 12/3 for feeding the VFD OK.

Most of the VFD's have exposed terminals on the front. I'm not a fan of a "live front" but putting everything in a ventilated enclosure will take up even more space.

How do you handle a good strain relief on the cabling at the VFD? 

This should be an interesting ride and I'm looking for help on all the above items.

Thanks

Mark
The Teco FM50 seems to come up often in reply to a question such as yours, but wait for the real experts to show up with some ideas.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-19-2020, 12:34 PM)fredhargis Wrote: The Teco FM50 seems to come up often in reply to a question such as yours, but wait for the real experts to show up with some ideas.

Is your motor dual voltage ? 220-460 v input?

Wolf Automation has a good product decision chart.
(07-19-2020, 12:34 PM)fredhargis Wrote: The Teco FM50 seems to come up often in reply to a question such as yours, but wait for the real experts to show up with some ideas.

The Teco FM50 has been superseded but another VFD. I've looked at that as well.
(07-19-2020, 01:15 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: Is your motor dual voltage ? 220-460 v input?

Wolf Automation has a good product decision chart.

It is 220-460V.

I'll look at Wolf automation again.
Thanks
(07-19-2020, 01:20 PM)sawnuts Wrote: The Teco FM50 has been superseded but another VFD. I've looked at that as well.

you should visit the OWWM this seems to come up over there more often
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-19-2020, 02:13 PM)Bob10 Wrote: you should visit the OWWM this seems to come up over there more often

I'll do that. I post there and I'll check in with the good folks there. 

Mark
Hi. I run a bunch of VFDs

Yes 12/4 SOOW from VFD to motor is fine and 12/3 to VFD is fine.

You can buy a VFD  that has an enclosure that is nema 4x ip65.

A great VFD for your scenario is a KBAC-27D. 
It is super simple to wire.
It is Dust proof.The enclosure on it is GREAT.
These KBAC-27D are the go to VFD for guys who build 2X72 grinders - super dusty work
Requires no "programming"
It will run 1.5hp off 120v if you want it to or 2hp off 220V.
Is controlled with switches that are wired inside with spade terminals. Those can be changed to your won switches very easily
It has a potentiometer on it already not that you need that.
Its about $350 - only down side but they are worth it. 
KBAC is an american company. They have been in the C drive and DC drive game a LONG time
Their manuals are excellent

There are other great VFDs out there too. Many have enclosure parts you can add to add strain relief. Imount all my others in enclosures that are not in correct cases.

PM me if you want to talk in person

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.