Teknatool woes - disappointed
The thing that makes me not want to buy any of these dp's is that they are essentially disposable.  10 years from now it's going to be obsolete and they will have no idea how to fix the computer.  I'm seeing this with other devices, one thing that cost me $1000 less than 5 years ago, and if the computer in it blows they offer $200 off a new one.  

Personally, I'm fine with changing belts on pulleys.  But I could probably retrofit with a 3 phase motor and install a VFD if I wanted to get fancy.
Seriously, I've almost never have changed the belt on my dp...may be once or twice in over 20 years. I haven't really seen any difference in the drilling outcomes. The DVR thing is definitely not something of great value to me.

Simon
Thanks all for your valuable input and discussion. 
On further reflection and use, the machine is heavy duty, well built and functions well. 
The CS is pathetic at best. Worries me about the future in case problems arise. 
But there are no good alternatives - powermatic is no better if problems arise and Delta has gone to the dogs. 
For lack of better options, I will keep this drill. 
Out of lack of time and laziness, I wont return the machine to WC.
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
Teknatool isn’t the only one. I have Delta drill press that had the same issue fifteen years ago. Fortunately, I have pretty big wrenches and I was able to break the nut loose. The nut was in a recess where you HAD to have a socket to get to it.
VH07V  
(10-12-2020, 06:16 AM)EricU Wrote: The thing that makes me not want to buy any of these dp's is that they are essentially disposable.  10 years from now it's going to be obsolete and they will have no idea how to fix the computer.  I'm seeing this with other devices, one thing that cost me $1000 less than 5 years ago, and if the computer in it blows they offer $200 off a new one.  

Personally, I'm fine with changing belts on pulleys.  But I could probably retrofit with a 3 phase motor and install a VFD if I wanted to get fancy.

That is a valid concern with microprocessor controlled machines. There are places where having proprietary electronic controls is unavoidable, CNC machines come to mind. A drill press should not  IMO require firmware upgrades.
Before purchasing the Voyager drill press, and even before that purchasing a Saturn lathe, the thought of having a machine which relied on a computer, that is, was not simple gears and cogs, was a source of some anxiety. Although I have used computers for 40 years, I am not a computer geek. I am competent with software but, when something looks wrong, I call in the experts. I am far more comfortable with mechanics that may be pulled apart and put back together again. I used to keep my cars running, even restored a 1957 Porsche 356 over a period of 12 years. So why would I purchase a machine reliant on a computer?

For a start, the Nova machines have a very good reputation and one can check the reliability of their motors and microprocessors going back at least 15 years. I expect them to last at least this, and more. The Voyager and the Saturn were programmed in the factory. They are fine. I am happy with the attributes offered. I am on a Mac and the files are Windows, so I cannot update the programming. No matter ... The machines are very solidly built, and I expect at least 15, and possibly 20 years out of them. By that time they will owe me nothing.

Building stools at present ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I don't know about you guys, but I drive a car that has a computer board that I know nothing about, let alone fix it or update it if it goes south. Should I get a wagon instead?

The software or firmware wasn't the issue and won't be. It's the horrible customer service that we should worry about. For every bad customer experience with this business, there might be other 5 or 10 good ones. I don't care; I just don't want to be that "unlucky" customer.

Simon
(10-15-2020, 02:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I drive a car that has a computer board that I know nothing about, let alone fix it or update it if it goes south. Should I get a wagon instead?

The software or firmware wasn't the issue and won't be. It's the horrible customer service that we should worry about.  For every bad customer experience with this business, there might be other 5 or 10 good ones. I don't care; I just don't want to be that "unlucky" customer.

Simon

Simon, go ahead and buy a wagon if that's what you want to do.  But the comparison misses the point.

I have plenty of computers and microprocessors in plenty of machines around the house.  I have known there is a microprocessor in the DVR from the first time I looked at it.  I like the features the hardware/software enables.  

What initially tripped me up on the DVR was finding out that the software updates were only available in Windows executables.  That means that I don't have a machine capable of downloading the software from the net and then uploading it into the DVR.  I have to go find somebody with a Windows laptop who can help me out.  

Derek said he's never had to upload the software, nor does he expect to.  But Teknatool obviously expects some portion of the customer base to have to do that operation; they make that software update available on their web site, and provide how-to videos for the process.  If Teknatool doesn't foresee that need, then why do they have it on their site?  If there is the need, why not have the software updates available for Mac users?  I contend it's shortsightedness about their customer's needs.

I think Teknatool expects customers to upgrade or reload their firmware.  Take a look at the FAQ page on the Teknatool website:  Link 

Still, I was willing to still consider the machine.  Then, the OP posted his CS experience with Teknatool on a decidedly low-tech issue with the DP.  Others have chimed in with indicators of similar experiences with Teknatool.

We're not talking about machines at Harbor Freight price points here.
If I really wanted to update the software, I would either purchase a cheap software program for the Mac (called Parallels), or get a very cheap Windows laptop for this purpose.

There is no need to update the software. I assume that it is a choice if there are desirable features made available in the future. Frankly, there are more features than one can throw a stick at, and it will take me years to master what is already there!

The fact that I love the simplicity of cars from a the 50's and 60's did not stop me purchasing a modern(ish) car with a computer, and that relies on being plugged in for servicing and evaluations. For a guy who would tinker with engines, I have never seen the engine of my car, which I have owned for a decade! (It is a mid-engine design). Everything is plugged into a computer.

I understand that this thread is about the agent you dealt with and not about the machine. Don't make it about the machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-15-2020, 08:44 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I understand that this thread is about the agent you dealt with and not about the machine. Don't make it about the machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mostly not about the machine (but the OP's problem was less acute if the machine didn't have a bolt like that).

The Mac vs Windows concern is overblown...I know there're far more Windows users than Mac's in the world, meaning no one should have a problem finding a friend, neighbor, co-worker and heck, sometimes even a stranger to help out if need be. Just find someone 30 or 40 years younger than you --- they're very good with technology even if they don't have a computer degree. (I tried to set up my wireless weather control by reading the manual (written by an alien or something) and following it with no success. My eldest daughter got it done in under several minutes WITHOUT looking at anything that came with the control!)

Guys, we aren't living in the 18th c. or in a cave!