How to fix
Any suggestions without complete tear down
It's part of opening for attic ladder

Attached Files Image(s)

Are you talking about the wracked 2x4? It is wracked or twisted? If it's twisted, take out the ladder. Take a sawzall and cut the nails, including the drywall nails and replace the board. Patch the old nail holes in the drywall.

If it's wracked: Drill a hole through it abd stick a heavy screwdriver through the hole and straighten it. Add a galvanized corner bracket (something like this) at each end and screw it in.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If it's the 2 x how about putting a 2 x 8 or something substantial spanning the others and using some construction screws to pull it back into place and install a corner bracket like suggested? Then you could remove the 2 x
Remove enough flooring (probably over to the next joist) so that you can get to it. It is probably out of whack for it's entire length. You will also have to remove the screws than hold the stair frame to it. As mentioned above, cut the nails at either end, straighten it up and fasten it back with screws (pocket screw fashion). Re-install screws holding stair frame.
It's my son's in granbury texas. Problem is in upper right of picture.you can see where the 2x6 is slanted. He's not sure if there is even any nails into the slanted 2x6. Because of medical issues right now unable to go help. I live in south Dakota.
Put a 24” Bessey (or similar) clamp on that 2x to twist it, then secure the board. You can get some amazing leverage with those clamps.
VH07V  
I've been known to use the little Kreg pocket hole jig and some screws to firm something like that up.

Obviously if it can be straightened/aligned, all the better.  But it sort of looks like it was hammered over in order to make the ladder fit.

I wouldn't tear into it unless it was causing a problem downstream.
(10-25-2020, 10:40 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I've been known to use the little Kreg pocket hole jig and some screws to firm something like that up.

Me too

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thanks for all the suggestions. He took up the flooring n found the 2x6 was just laying there and not attached at either end. He straitened it up and attached it at both ends.
(10-26-2020, 03:05 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions.  He took up the flooring n found the 2x6 was just laying there and not attached at either end. He straitened it up and attached it at both ends.

Don't ya just want to smack somebody?

... Kizar Sosay