DC Motor Upgrade? Yay or Nay?
Maybe so, but sometimes a hunnert bucks thrown into something helps out.
I bought a scratch and dent 4hp collector from griz and did some updating on it.
Took the 12.5 wheel off and spent a hunnert for a 14" wheel. Redid the intake a bit and it's been outside pumping it's heart out now for about 15 years.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Fred,

I'm leaning that way. It works well enough for my current needs but I won't try to make it do what it can't. In the coming months I'll start watching the used market for a big, 220v unit.
Semper fi,
Brad

So this popped up on Facebook Marketplace. It's actually single phase, but 3hp (220/440v), according to the motor plate. I've asked for diameter of the impeller housing.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the single stage design, having had one before.

Could something like this be readily modified to a two stage unit? If so, advice on how to?

Or should I just wait for a cyclone design with a 3 or 5hp motor?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Other than the Tim-the-Toolman answer, why would that be better than what you already have?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
There a are a lot of conversions of single stage to 2 stage DC, and generally they work well. After all, what you need most is air flow, and a SS blower does that as well as a cyclone blower. There are (usually) differences. An impeller on a cyclone can be designed differently since it doesn't have chit hitting the fan, so to speak. The blades can be swept back for improved performance, and they can be built a little lighter to better use the motor power. But because a cyclone adds some drag to the system, cyclone blowers are also typically have bigger impellers, and often a larger motor to compensate. Even so, my first DC was a SS (2.5 HP Penn State) , and I added a Wood magazine shop built cyclone. It really did work well. But here's the kicker, to convert that one you will need a cyclone body, or a separator of some kind. There are some bodies being sold on ebay, and a separator can be as simple as a Thein (it got good very reviews in a Wood magazine test some years back) so if you want to go that way it's an option.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-24-2020, 10:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So this popped up on Facebook Marketplace.  It's actually single phase, but 3hp (220/440v), according to the motor plate.  I've asked for diameter of the impeller housing.

Could something like this be readily modified to a two stage unit?  If so, advice on how to?

Be careful with that one.  I don't see a capacitor lump or lumps, unless it/they're in the junction box.  And I've never seen a single-phase motor rated 230/460V.  Baldor's largest single-phase motor is 15 hp, and it's 230V (only), for instance.  115V, 115/230V, and 115/208-230V is all I've ever seen.*  

Not that it can't happen, but it would be a first for me.  

*Those are NEMA voltages, by the way; Asian motors are typically 110V and/or 220V.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks, gents.

I'll wait for a larger 220V cyclone system to come up.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-24-2020, 10:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So this popped up on Facebook Marketplace.  It's actually single phase, but 3hp (220/440v), according to the motor plate.  I've asked for diameter of the impeller housing.

Could something like this be readily modified to a two stage unit?  If so, advice on how to?

That griz is similiar to what I bought. That is a 2-bag and I have a 4-bag unit.

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Next question, then, as I search for a used system:

Will a 2hp motor system be sufficient then? Or should I look for 3-5? Specifically, the Grizzly G0863 with a HF 2hp motor and impeller. If this system would work I'd modify it to have straight ducting between the fan and cyclone.
Semper fi,
Brad

This is the unit.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad