source for wood filler?
I need to fill some small holes and gaps in several oval boxes I am making. The wood is unfinished cherry that will be finished with shellac. In the past I have used fillers that hardened in the container soon after initial use. The filler became useless for future needs. Can you recommend a wood filler that does not get hard in the container after I open it? Thanks
I started using Timbermate a while ago and like the results.  It is available in multiple shades, including cherry.  It doesn't shrink, crack, or fall out.  If it dries in the container, you can add a little water to reconstitute it. They sell it at Woodcraft if you have one near you or on Amazon.
+1 on the Timbermate.  I've used several different brands of wood filler and all have failed to impress.  Timbermate is good stuff.

I've gotten it at Woodcraft before, but I don't have one close by, so I ordered it from Klingspor Woodworking the last time.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(12-01-2020, 09:56 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: +1 on the Timbermate.  I've used several different brands of wood filler and all have failed to impress.  Timbermate is good stuff.

Also like the Timbermate. And I just ordered a small jar of "Goodfilla" in a cherry color to test. It is less expensive than the Timbermate, per oz., and gets good reviews but I've never used it.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thank you for the responses. I just ordered TimberMate on Amazon. Should have it Friday.
(12-01-2020, 11:09 AM)JSpill Wrote: Thank you for the responses. I just ordered TimberMate on Amazon. Should have it Friday.
Timbermate is nice to work with but do not use a steel putty knife which will turn it dark.  I t also has a smell of burnt electrical equipment so don't go looking for something burning.
 Depending on project you may want to apply a coat of finish first then fill as it makes it easy to clean the surrounding area.   Roly
Most of the fillers like Plastic Wood and Famo Wood can be reconstituted with acetone.

Timbermate can be tinted.

You can also look into wax filler sticks. Check Mohawk.

All I can say is good luck matching it....
I use a paste made of fine sawdust and whatever finish I'm going to use on the piece.  Works well and I know it will be perfectly compatible with the ultimate finish.

-Howard
(12-02-2020, 10:03 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Famo Wood can be reconstituted with acetone.

Correct

(12-03-2020, 10:58 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: I use a paste made of fine sawdust and whatever finish I'm going to use on the piece.  Works well and I know it will be perfectly compatible with the ultimate finish.

-Howard

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Anyone still use fine sawdust power mixed with shellac or sanding sealer? That’s my first choice for small holes and cracks.