Daily Bench Shot
(02-13-2021, 01:01 PM)jstraw Wrote: They’re finally done.  Secured the tops and installed the hardware.

[Image: full]

Neato
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-06-2021, 11:12 AM)WxMan Wrote: Nightstands ready for delivery, along with the king size headboard.  No pics of a fully assembled headboard because it will be assembled on site at time of delivery.  Snow today and tomorrow, along with sloppy roads, and the assembled headboard won't fit under the bed cap of my pickup, so it will be transported in pieces.

Final piece in this set will be a cheval mirror.  Need to get the design OK'd tomorrow when I deliver these pieces.

Great color contrast.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-13-2021, 01:01 PM)jstraw Wrote: They’re finally done.  Secured the tops and installed the hardware.

[Image: full]

Those look great.  What are the side panels made of?
(02-13-2021, 05:16 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Great color contrast.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that color choice.  

Finishing of this whole set of pieces has fought me every step of the way.  They chose Minwax "Espresso" for the stained portions; I'll never use that stuff again.  Impossible to dry/cure on porous wood like red oak.  Every piece, regardless of drying/curing time, experienced a "measles-like" splotching when the wipe-on poly was put on; looked like the stain was reactivated and those deep pores would bleed out spots of stain pigments.  It caused me to refinish the large dresser I posted a few pages back.  At first, I thought i didn't wait long enough.  It's cold, so I let the heat run at 65F for several days while pieces were drying.  Still happened.  I brought the next set over to the house and let it dry in the basement (65F) for 6-7 days.  Still happened.  Happened to pieces that were treated with conditioner, pieces that were just raw when stain was applied.  Very frustrating to have to finish every piece twice.

The white portions are a Pittsburgh Paint cabinet and trim paint.  I'm not a painter, and don't pretend to be one.  Heck, I didn't even stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.  I tried my sprayer first; big fat fail as I couldn't get it to draw latex paint.  Ended up rolling it on and then tipping it off with a brush.  Don't know why I decided to do that; just seemed like the thing to do.  Came out OK.  Then last week, I saw an "Ask This Old House" episode in which the painting expert was showing that to paint furniture, one should roll the paint and then tip it off.  I thought, "Man, that would have been good to know two weeks ago!" 
Crazy
Crazy
Crazy
Leg prototype for next project, new direction from original thinking. 
[Image: i-z9G76Kb-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
That's a beast of a plane!   The perspective really highlights the size.  How big is it?  Gross tonnage?  
Big Grin
Aram makes really nice planes. I just used one yesterday he made for me over 10 years ago.
John
(02-13-2021, 08:36 PM)Ok WxMan Wrote: Those look great.  What are the side panels made of?

They’re veneer over birch ply.  Gave me an excuse to use my vacuum press.
John
(02-14-2021, 05:41 AM)WxMan Wrote: That's a beast of a plane!   The perspective really highlights the size.  How big is it?  Gross tonnage?  
Big Grin

First time I looked I thought it was the leg and then I saw the shavings
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-14-2021, 05:41 AM)WxMan Wrote: That's a beast of a plane!   The perspective really highlights the size.  How big is it?  Gross tonnage?  
Big Grin

Only 24". Bubinga, so it does weigh a few pounds
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site