Table Top Clamps
I've been looking at clamps that are used with the Festool MFT table and others.  I'm wondering if these would fix through a 3/4" bench dog hole in a 1 5/8" top (two layers of plywood and a layer of 3/16" hardboard.  I'd like to be able to clamp down material in areas besides the edge and the middle where I have a t-track.  This would be for more than just hold-downs.  I don't have easy access to the underside of the top, so the styles that have a nut that spins onto the bottom won't work.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, I just started exploring this. I've thought about some runners held down to the bench and then have a t-track on that runner with some toggle clamps that can move.  The only downside to toggle clamps is the relatively small range of thickness.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I have the similar track clamps from Dewalt and use them in my down draft table for clamping. I could not get them thru a 3/4" hole and had to drill new holes to 1-1/4" (I think, or larger). They work great in this application, but with a 1.5" thick top and the length of the "leg" that has to slide thru the hole; I could not get it in without a lot of force.
(02-16-2021, 01:39 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: I've been looking at clamps that are used with the Festool MFT table and others.  I'm wondering if these would fix through a 3/4" bench dog hole in a 1 5/8" top (two layers of plywood and a layer of 3/16" hardboard.  I'd like to be able to clamp down material in areas besides the edge and the middle where I have a t-track.  This would be for more than just hold-downs.  I don't have easy access to the underside of the top, so the styles that have a nut that spins onto the bottom won't work.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, I just started exploring this. I've thought about some runners held down to the bench and then have a t-track on that runner with some toggle clamps that can move.  The only downside to toggle clamps is the relatively small range of thickness.

I believe the Festool accessories are designed for a 20mm hole. So, if they are the clamps that don't rely on a snug fit in the hole they should be fine. This is also assuming they can make the "turn" if they have the foot that's supposed to grab the bottom of the worksurface. 

If you can get a measurement of the foot length it would be pretty simple to make a few quick drawings and visualize.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Any of the below will work

armour tools has some nice clamps that fit into 3/4" holes.. If you get an MFT later, you can buy the 20mm post and swap it out. These have both "clamp from the top" and "clamp from the side"

Lee valley has a plate that lets you put a Kreg Klamp in a dog hole.. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...own-clamps (I think these come in 20 mm too)

My favorite is the sjobergs
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sjobergs-Sca.../205551038
As has been mentioned, 3/4ths is the limit for the Festool clamp and its ilk. I poked a bunch of 20mm holes in my portable bench that is 1" thick, and neither my Festool or Dewalt clamps could clear the turn. I use traditional hold fasts on the thicker top when I need to clamp from above.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Kreg clamp trak ?
My .02
Karl