LV "Sharpening by Hand" resource guide
Just received a mailer from Lee Valley that Rob Lee describes as having 4 objectives, well 3. Maybe, two....? The introduction of the complete Shapton line of abrasives, LV's new honing guides, an abrasive comparison chart, and; what I assume is the LV sharpening department catalog presented in explanatory context, with prices. It's an interesting read, that does pick at common questions. 

There are a menagerie of grits, and grades according to Arkansas Stones. I had a chuckle when I found LV had introduced its own grit range codes. However, many suppliers offer similar breakdowns for the sharpening stages.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
A granite lapping plate and wet/dry auto sandpaper works very well too.  I still think I get my best edges with an eclipse style jig or similar and running through 6-7 grits.

(04-18-2021, 08:33 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: A granite lapping plate and wet/dry auto sandpaper works very well too.  I still think I get my best edges with an eclipse style jig or similar and running through 6-7 grits.

There is a granite plate, somewhere, in the garage still boxed. I have two of the eclipse clones and they are really fiddly with chisels under 3/8, refusing to work usually. My first success was with plate glass and wet-dry abrasives. I think most hobbyists go through the initiation process of trying for what works best for us. I did and still do.  Regardless, it is expensive.

LV has needed to jump into the handwork abrasive mess with some clarification and comparisons of grits, for some time. Glad they did! I notice they did not split hair with what is better for this or that steel. I have had to work through the pm-v11-white paper-A2 harder steels conundrum and think most recommendations are guided more by bias and personal comfort. 

I am happy. Until the next salesman comes to town. Speaking of which.....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.