Daily Bench Shot
This is more of a report of what I've been working on the past three days.  Working on a new living room bannister/rail with son-in-law for their home remodel.  The old rail was getting rickety and was not up to code.

Major assembly together.  Wood is poplar and the iron work is powder coated.  Son-in-law got the iron online from a fabricator in Houston with short lead time at a very reasonable price.  Powder coating was done locally.

Sitting in the new location, but not yet fixed in place.  Needs sanding, some epoxy work to cement the iron frames and ballisters in place, and then paint.

Very nice, looks great.
(04-23-2021, 02:37 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Very nice, looks great.

+1
Big Grin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Mrs G wanted the old kitchen cabinet doors repurposed for a filing cabinet.
No fine WW’ing here—mostly figuring out how to accommodate.
They were too small for a real internal frame but screws and plugs worked.
A 3/4” X 1” set of ledgers inside with a plywood bottom makes it very rigid.
The lid is another door.
She’s painting the rails and stiles black and leaving the beadboard fields natural (as is).
HWHL.
Winkgrin

Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-23-2021, 07:32 AM)WxMan Wrote: This is more of a report of what I've been working on the past three days.  Working on a new living room bannister/rail with son-in-law for their home remodel.  The old rail was getting rickety and was not up to code.

That railing looks great!  Nice to see the usage of genuine Jorgensen clamps too. 
Cool
(04-25-2021, 10:52 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Mrs G wanted the old kitchen cabinet doors repurposed for a filing cabinet.
No fine WW’ing here—mostly figuring out how to accommodate.
They were too small for a real internal frame but screws and plugs worked.
A 3/4” X 1” set of ledgers inside with a plywood bottom makes it very rigid.
The lid is another door.
She’s painting the rails and stiles black and leaving the beadboard fields natural (as is).
HWHL.
Winkgrin

I'd like to see a picture of that filing cabinet when it's done.  As for fine woodworking...if she thinks it's fine, then the wood works, no?

(04-27-2021, 03:49 PM)Cian Wrote: That railing looks great!  Nice to see the usage of genuine Jorgensen clamps too. 
Cool

Thanks.  Jorgie pipe clamps on the 8-foot glue-up of the rails to the posts.  I have some up to 5' long, but I keep black pipe unions for that odd time when you need REALLY looooong clamps.  The top and bottom rails are morticed into the posts.
Finished it up, neighbor helped move it to the greenhouse area.
4 feet by 5 feet, 18 inches deep and 3 feet off the ground.
I can't believe the price of cedar, it has gone up more that construction lumber. Just went to the hardwood supplier in Spokane Valley, Wa. Hardwoods have not seen the price hike .....................yet.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Yes, cedar has went considerably since last.
I used almost every piece on this build, and the cut offs are on the shelf
Sailboat rudder upper assembly

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad