Hope Chest Finish
I'm working on a hope chest that will be mainly walnut and maple. I plan on adding some unfinished aerobatic cedar parts inside as well.

For the finished parts, would boiled linseed oil or hand-wiped polyurethane be better? Also, should I finish the panels of the frame and panel sections before assembly like a cabinet door? It will be going to Eastern Nebraska from the Colorado High Plains, so I'm expecting a bit of panel expansion.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Personally, I would not put BLO on maple.  I would use Arm-R-Seal for a hand applied finish or shellac and waterborne clearcoat or NC lacquer for a sprayed one.  Arm-R-Seal looks great on both woods; it brings out the beauty of walnut and doesn't turn maple yellow.  

As for the panels it's always a good idea to put at least one coat of finish on them before assembly.  I think given what you said you wouldn't necessarily have to but it's good insurance.  

John
"Personally, I would not put BLO on maple. I would use Arm-R-Seal for a hand applied finish or shellac and waterborne clearcoat or NC lacquer for a sprayed one. Arm-R-Seal looks great on both woods; it brings out the beauty of walnut and doesn't turn maple yellow."

I think I'll try the Arm-R-Seal. It's a small enough project that hand-application is pretty easy. I'm assuming General Finishes is the only brand for it?

"As for the panels it's always a good idea to put at least one coat of finish on them before assembly. I think given what you said you wouldn't necessarily have to but it's good insurance."

The more I think about it, this is a good idea. I guess I thought it might not be necessary with an oil like BLO, but I might as well do it.
I used to use a Watco wipe on poly. A couple of years ago John suggested the Arm-R-Seal and now it is the only finish I use. Very easy to apply and holds up well. I mainly work with Alder, Walnut and Hickory. When I make something with panels I do one coat before assembly. That way if the panel shifts in the frame it does not show. Don't be shocked after the first coat the finish will look terrible, at least that is my experience. After the second coat it will look much better. I lightly sand with 320 foam pad. The third coat it will look great. I have heard there are several ways to apply it. I use a foam brush. To keep the panels from rattling I use 1/4" rubber barrels or the balls and compress them with the panel during assembly. General Finish makes the Arm-R-Seal and not available in California, so you know it must be good.[Image: yellowbiggrin.gif]
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I wouldn’t use BLO —especially inside.
I’m also an Arm-R-Seal fan. Beautiful and durable enough.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
[attachment=38875 Wrote:lincmercguy pid='8032802' dateline='1637000234']I'm working on a hope chest that will be mainly walnut and maple. I plan on adding some unfinished aerobatic cedar parts inside as well.

For the finished parts, would boiled linseed oil or hand-wiped polyurethane be better? Also, should I finish the panels of the frame and panel sections before assembly like a cabinet door? It will be going to Eastern Nebraska from the Colorado High Plains, so I'm expecting a bit of panel expansion.

I use (General) Satin Arm-R-Seal now on all of my projects. I wipe in on with a soft cloth. It could not be easier. Here's a pic of my last 2 projects. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Is that cherry in that table? Looks very nice. Did you stain it first?
(11-21-2021, 05:14 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Is that cherry in that table? Looks very nice. Did you stain it first?

Why stain cherry?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-21-2021, 05:14 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Is that cherry in that table? Looks very nice. Did you stain it first?

Thank you. Yes, its cherry and just the Arm-R-Seal. I put on 5 coats. The curly maple was first stained with dye and then sanded off and then 5 coats of Arm-R-Seal. Give it a try. On walnut it makes it pop! The other table is African Teak and that was stained with Minwax cherry gel stain and 5 coats of Arm-R-Seal. 
"Why stain cherry?"

To make it darker.
Big Grin

I've been messing with cherry a bit since I eventually want to build kitchen cabinets for the house with it. I've done several test pieces with letting them age in the sun a bit, finishing them, and letting them sit out to darken. They've not darkened enough for my taste in 12-14 months. I know they need to go a little more yet.