Problem with cedar knot
Haven’t worked with cedar for many years and have had a former student ask me to make him a feather box. No problem doing that but, after applying a finish ( rattle can lacquer) I have an area around a knot hole that just soaks finish up like a sponge. Going to resand top of box back down to bare wood unless the brain trust here has better ideas.
(07-07-2022, 08:29 AM)teacher Wrote: Haven’t worked with cedar for many years and have had a former student ask me to make him a feather box. No problem doing that but, after applying a finish ( rattle can lacquer) I have an area around a knot hole that just soaks finish up like a sponge. Going to resand top of box back down to bare wood unless the brain trust here has better ideas.

If you sand, seal it to refusal with 3#cut shellac first.  I imagine the bark is intact, and soaking things up.  Which "cedar" (none native to US) are you using?

OR, since you're looking for slick surface, use what turners use - superglue.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.