faux box beams for kitchen remodel
Fun making some "faux" box beams for my kitchen remodel.

This was a fun departure from all the "heavy" work fixing floors and ceilings, re-wiring everything.  Not much more I can do inside the space until I get my framing inspection, then I can start closing things up.

Cheap knotty pine boards, ripped a 45* miter on two long edges of each bottom face and one edge of each side face.  Blue tape on the seam, glue, fold, tack with pin nails, then went at them with an angle grinder and a kutzall grinding wheel to just tear into them, make them look rough.  There are (10) at 6' and (1) at 12' for the "ridge beam" which is also about 1.5" wider than the shorter ones. I think the illusion will work!

edit: I stained with a 50/50 blend of provincial and jacobean.. What would you all put on these as a finish? Anything? I was thinking just a thick coat of paste wax.

I think you did a good job of distressing them.

As far as finish goes, can you try a tinted paste waste?  There seems to be a big contrast between stained/not stained, and the tinted wax would help "age" those light spots better.
Those look really nice!!
Yah I was considering that but also kinda like the look. It’s actually not stained vs unstained - the areas that are all rough and torn up just absorbed much more stain. I could even maybe darken those spots with some gel stain.
I wouldn’t do wax 
No

You’ll have a mess on your hands with all that texture.

Are you looking for a sheen ?
(09-12-2022, 07:13 AM)mound Wrote:  What would you all put on these as a finish? Anything? I was thinking just a thick coat of paste wax.

water based clear in a satin sheen.
(09-12-2022, 09:53 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I wouldn’t do wax 
No

You’ll have a mess on your hands with all that texture.

Are you looking for a sheen ?

Not quite sure.. Subtle if anything.. old and worn, but not "chalky" like no finish at all, subtle sheen I suppose.
(09-12-2022, 04:13 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: As far as finish goes, can you try a tinted paste waste?  There seems to be a big contrast between stained/not stained, and the tinted wax would help "age" those light spots better.

On second look, I think it must be the super bright white LEDs shining directly down on those beams causing the difference between the light and dark to be much more pronounced in these photos.. When I walk out into the shop and just look at them, it's much more subtle. imagine it will be even more so once mounted on a ceiling.
(09-13-2022, 05:22 AM)tomsteve Wrote:  water based clear in a satin sheen.

Thanks, I'll try a sample!
I don't know what look you're going for but to me, the photo appears to show some really dark almost painted areas and some areas with no tinting at all.  Quite the contrast from my perspective.