Water Heater Problem
Our water heater is not producing as much hot water and it isn't getting as hot. It is going on 7 years old - we moved into the house 7 years ago next month. I am thinking it is a bad lower element.  If I test the resistance, a bad element should have either infinite or higher resistance than the book says, correct?    Ours is not in a convenient spot, it is behind an access panel in one of the closets in the middle of the house so draining it will be interesting.

(10-20-2022, 08:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Our water heater is not producing as much hot water and it isn't getting as hot. It is going on 7 years old - we moved into the house 7 years ago next month. I am thinking it is a bad lower element.  If I test the resistance, a bad element should have either infinite or higher resistance than the book says, correct?    Ours is not in a convenient spot, it is behind an access panel in one of the closets in the middle of the house so draining it will be interesting.

Here's an excellent water heater site.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/
(10-20-2022, 08:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Our water heater is not producing as much hot water and it isn't getting as hot. It is going on 7 years old - we moved into the house 7 years ago next month. I am thinking it is a bad lower element.  If I test the resistance, a bad element should have either infinite or higher resistance than the book says, correct?    Ours is not in a convenient spot, it is behind an access panel in one of the closets in the middle of the house so draining it will be interesting.
You are correct wiith the resistance readings.     Roly
(10-21-2022, 05:48 AM)Roly Wrote: You are correct wiith the resistance readings.     Roly

Do I need to drain it to test the resistance?  Does having water in the heater affect the test?

(10-21-2022, 05:25 AM)frule Wrote: Here's an excellent water heater site.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/

A few of the links at that site don't work, including the one for troubleshooting, which is the one that I really need.

(10-21-2022, 07:46 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Do I need to drain it to test the resistance?  Does having water in the heater affect the test?

You do not need to drain the tank to test resistance,  disconnect both wires then test.     Test between the two terminals then test resistance to ground on each terminal.  You should not show any resistance to ground on either.  Roly
(10-21-2022, 09:32 AM)Roly Wrote:  You do not need to drain the tank to test resistance,  disconnect both wires then test.     Test between the two terminals then test resistance to ground on each terminal.  You should not show any resistance to ground on either.  Roly

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/determine-...29071.html

Try this site Should help you
south vietnam war collage
I ordered two heating elements and a new anode. I couldn't source the anode locally so just ordered everything. Before I put them in, I will test everything. It's a chore by itself just getting to the heater so I only want to do this once. I am wondering how much of this is perception - I have taken hot showers all week, but 90 bucks and a couple hours is worth keeping 3 women happy. We are talking about a 2nd water heater for the other end of the house, or having point of use there.

(10-22-2022, 02:07 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I ordered two heating elements and a new anode.  I couldn't source the anode locally so just ordered everything.  Before I put them in, I will test everything.  It's a chore by itself just getting to the heater so I only want to do this once.  I am wondering how much of this is perception - I have taken hot showers all week, but 90 bucks and a couple hours is worth keeping 3 women happy.  We are talking about a 2nd water heater for the other end of the house, or having point of use there.

If both elements test good it may be the thermostat as it switches between the upper and lower elements,   If just the upper is working you will have hot water for a while but will run out as the lower half of the tank is not hot.  
roly
I watched a video yesterday of a guy who changed the elements without draining the tank. He explained why it worked, which is about what I thought would happen as to why it would work. He shut the water off at the heater, then opened the hot side of a tap to relieve the pressure, then closed the tap. Since it's a closed system after he pulled the old element out little to no water came out. that is about what I would expect. Is there a reason I should drain the tank, other than to get any possible sediment out?